Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ANOTHER newbie question

1. Back To Top    #1

ANOTHER newbie question

New pool and having trouble keeping PH up. I was anticipating having issues keeping PH down. IS that usual for a new build? I have a feeling that when we get the SWG going it could balance itself pretty good. PH at a 7.0. Water in the pool for about 20 days is it safe to add borates?
    18,900 Stonescapes Tahoe Blue xtra black, 8 jet Spa, Pentair inteliflo VS , Pentair FNS 60 DE, Inteliclor40, Pentair 400,000 Mastertemp heater, 3 spillovers powered by a Pentair 1 HP whisperflo pump, The pool Cleaner, 2 Intellibright color changing lights and 400 sq ft. of Heliocol roof mounted solar.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: ANOTHER newbie question

What is your TA? I would wait on the borates. Yes it's unusual.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

TA=160
    18,900 Stonescapes Tahoe Blue xtra black, 8 jet Spa, Pentair inteliflo VS , Pentair FNS 60 DE, Inteliclor40, Pentair 400,000 Mastertemp heater, 3 spillovers powered by a Pentair 1 HP whisperflo pump, The pool Cleaner, 2 Intellibright color changing lights and 400 sq ft. of Heliocol roof mounted solar.

4. Back To Top    #4

If you are still using Trichlor pucks, then these are very acidic so would tend to have the pH drop, even with elevated TA (though that helps a bit).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

just chlorine

should i attempt to raise?

6. Back To Top    #6

You could try aerating the water more by pointing the returns up -- that might help. Or you could explicitly add a base to raise the pH, such as adding 20 Mule Team Borax. It's really strange to have the pH be dropping when you're using chlorinating liquid or bleach (or Cal-Hypo or lithium hypochlorite). Very strange, indeed.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

Where are you located?
    Have you gotten a lot of rain lately?
    The reason I ask is that the rain here is low pH and we've gotten a bunch of it. I've had to pump a lot of water of and have subsequently been fighting low pH more than normal because of it lately.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Is it possible that your test reagents are expired?

Not saying that you do , but many of us have a slight color blindness and find the test a little difficult to read.
    Is more than one person seeing the test color and agreeing on the pH?

Just throwing out some ideas, since your pH seems to be an enigma.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Is the pool covered?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

10. Back To Top    #10

Asked my wife to tell the PBer a week ago that the PH was low. She did and his response was "Id call your pool guy to fix it- OH- your pool guy is your husband (me)." Sounds like the pool is now under our care right?. Well what I just figured out was that the pool is under our care BUT he put a gallon of acid in the pool the day before. Dropped the PH to 7.0. It is now back up to 7.5 as of this morning. Situation normal- minus the communication on that one.