Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Colored plaster

1. Back To Top    #1

Colored plaster

Does anyone have any thoughts on colored plaster? I am trying to decide weather or not to go with blue tinted plaster or plain white. We are putting in LED lights and I am concerned with the brightness and mottling. Going with the white will save me $750. Is it worth it?
    19'6" x 31 Freeform, Hayward 2HP 2 speed Tristar, Hayward 425 cartridge, Hayward P-4 controls, 25K SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Colored plaster

Depending on your hardness levels, the mottling will be more pronounced with anything other than white. Reflective properties will also diminish, so it depends on how brightly lit you like your pool.

What are they using for color? Typical costs around here for adding color to a pool is $400.00.

3. Back To Top    #3

I am not sure what they are using for color. They just told me that I had to be there when they mix it to approve the color. I had to sign a waiver for the mottling and for the brightness of the pool lights. We are using 2 Colorlogix 4.0 lights in a 31' pool.
    19'6" x 31 Freeform, Hayward 2HP 2 speed Tristar, Hayward 425 cartridge, Hayward P-4 controls, 25K SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

You will have no idea what you are looking at when they mix the color. The final water color doesn't look anything like the color of the plaster. For example, my pool is a nearly a tahoe blue but the plaster was grey. There is no way I could have 'approved' the grey color.
    11000 Gals, Intelliflo, Sta-Rite Cartridge, Polaris 360

Pool I built in my old house: my-new-pool-build-t4534.html

5. Back To Top    #5

That's a CYA (not cyanuric acid!) move on the part of the company, and is typical. They are not going to go back in after it is done because "that's not what I thought it was going to look like"! It's also a good reason to use a standard color

6. Back To Top    #6

Maybe your PB can show you some of the other pools he has built. We looked at a couple our PB did so we knew what we wanted. See our pool build in the sig abr.
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

7. Back To Top    #7

I went with the dark gray knowing it would mottle or get blotchy. For me that is what makes the pool look less pooly and more pondy which is what I wanted. But my builder still supplied me with samples of finishes, yours should too.

8. Back To Top    #8

Go see actual pools before deciding.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

9. Back To Top    #9

We went and looked at pools before we decided on the blue plaster but after the having to sign the waivers we started having second thoughts. We did not get to look at any at night with LED lights though.