location of heater??

flyweed

Bronze Supporter
Aug 3, 2009
SW Wisconsin
Hey all,

Ok, before I have my gas guy run the pipe (25ft) from our house to the pool heater, that is currently sitting right next to the pool..I have been thinking..It's kind of an eye sore to see the pool heater and sand filter sitting right next to the pool, when my house is so close (and on the same level)...could I just put the pool heater and pump unit BEHIND my house, and run the PVC intake and return lines the 25 feet back to the side of the pool?? Then I could bury those underground, AND have a very short run for my gas connection too?

Would there be any issues with my pool pump returning pool water over a 25ft length? Also would there be too much heat loss from the pool water in that length? I could insulate the pipe too I guess.

Just want to get some thoughts on this.

Dan

That is my set up as well.

A word of advice, put a little space between the pad and the foundation. Mine touch and it some of the vibration of the pump is carried into my family room (got to fix that before I open the pool).

50ft of piping isn't much of a head loss. Remember, your lengthening both suction and discharge the same amount so a 25 ft move equals a 50ft head loss. Our equipment is about 25ft away from our pool, buried underground from the pad to the pool and it's plenty of flow out the return.

ok..so my gas line run will only be 10ft to my pool heater...can I use 1/2" black steel for the supply or do I need 1 inch? If only 1/2" I could T off my gas meter and run the line easily..my heater is the hayward H200 so if I can pipe it with 1/2" I am SO GOOD TO GO..let me know

Dan

No, don't use 1/2" or iron pipe :hammer: :-D It's a short run, use PE, and I would still use 1 1/2 if it was mine! Do it right now, and when you finally upgrade to a 400K (I have never sold anything smaller!) you will have the right size for that already in place (and not all rusted out like that skinny iron pipe will be by then!)!

Are you Natural or propane (you may have put it in but I didn't look)?

I have natural gas. the Heater is a hayward H200...I got it used, and it was originally plumbed with 1/2" when the LP piping was installed on it. Like I said, I could go with any of them, but just want to know what would be best for supply. 1/2", 1 " or larger.

Dan

I guess I should have prefaced this by saying that the gas line will NOT be underground..it'll be run along the edge of our foundation around a 90 degree corner and then connected to the heater.

Should I still use PE for that or????????

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No, don't use PE if you aren't going to bury it. I'd still use at least 1" though, and, personally, if I was buying the pipe (if you don't already have it) I would still buy 1 1/2". You just never know what you'll do in the future.......

cool..I haven't bought the pipe yet...I am actually going today. What about flexible Stainless Steel?? I've heard good things about it, and obviously it would be very easy to go around a corner and bend to fit the corners to get it to the pool heater. I've never installed FSS, wonder if it's as easy as regular old black steel pipe?

Dan

Alright, flyweed, I have a lot of family in Wisconsin, so I have a soft spot for you :cheers: But...........Do it right the first time and quit thinking about doing it the easy way! :-D :-D Go get the right pipe, get some pipe dope and fittings, put it in and strap it down and go have a beer!

No, don't use the flex stainless! Just don't :hammer:

LOL...you are right. I ran 1/2" black steel myself for our fireplace with the help of a friend and it really isn't that difficult. I'lll run hard steel pipe for this too :) really this short of a run even with steel pipe will only take me an hour maybe. I can taste the beer already!!!!

ok..so I just had the "gas company guy" out to my house to just double check that I don't need a larger gas meter and such..because I really do "want to do this right!!"

Anyway....he saw where my H200 pool heater was located and he said with such a short run you can use 1/2" or even 3/4" to run that, as it will work just fine. I showed him the manual for the pool heater, which says at least 1 inch pipe for a run of 0-50 feet...he said it wasn't necessary at all.

So....who should I believe, the gas guy, or the pool heater manual?

Given that your gas guy said that you could get by with smaller size than your heater manual said, I'd go with the manual.

I had a good friend whose favorite saying was "It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"!

It'd sure be bad to run a smaller line then find out you needed a bigger one.

First, a question (since I am now questioning the gas guy!): What size is your meter and what other gas appliances are you running (stove, HVAC, etc.)? if you have a standard (for around here) 225,000 meter, and you have your pool heater going, along with your hot water heater, stove, bbq, etc., you just exceeded your meter!

That being said, (I really want to write in caps here :roll: ) why don't you just run it "right" the first time and be done with it :roll: :hammer: :lol: :lol: You run the "weenie" sized pipe, then it doesn't work and you have to re-do it, or one day you buy a 400K heater and you have to do it again. Do it right and you won't need to do it over!

well..that's what I am doing..even though the gas guy said to use the smaller..I already bought the 1 inch pipe..so that's what I am using. My meter is actually 290,000 btu's....we have hot water heater, house hvac, clothes dryer and pool heater. we don't use the hvac now through next Oct or Nov...water heater is 20,000 btu's, we don't use clothes dryer most of the summer, as wife hangs out clothes.

So that's the rundown

Dan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.