accepting credit card payments at home based business.

Heckpools

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey shore
Hello pool lovers.

My Pool service is growing :whoot: and im thinking about accepting credit cards. There seems to be a TON of online merchants, but also alot of shady ones too. Anyone have anything that can help me? Who do you use for your small business? Do you like them? This is all still so new to me ( only been in business 1 year) so i dont know much about accepting cc payments.

Thanks for your time!
Matt

dykes26 said:
Costco offers a good price and peace of mind

Costco does credit card service? That is ironic since I just started going there, and was shocked that they don't accept Mastercard or Visa!! Apparently they signed some kind of deal with Discover. Does anyone still use those?

Don't know if this helps or not. I just rented some equipment out in the field away from electricity, etc. and the guy had a card scanner attached to his iphone. He swipped the card and had me sign right on the screen. Receipt emailed if you provide an address.

duraleigh said:
...that industry is full of scams....FULL of them!!

If you'll PM me your phone # I can tell you my experiences and help get you started. :lol:

You da Man, Dave. It is very kind of you to share your experiences with the OP :goodjob: I'm telling you, there isn't a better forum on the net!

Sal and I take Credit Cards on our iPhones with Intuit's Go Payment app. Works great! Might look in to that if you are an iPhone guy!

Congrats on your expanding business :cheers: :cheers:

I've not in business for myself, but my best friend was, until the economy tanked. He let Costco do his processing. Where I used to work (Owner & 2 employees, so we all knew what was going on) we went with the bank that had the business account. My boss used to Tick and moan a lot about the rates. Some credit cards were 3%, AMEX was something like 6%, and then some of the Visas went up to 6% as well. The ones that offered points. Usually have some brand other than a bank name on it....

My advice: jack your rates. Lots of people who have the cash on hand will use plastic so they can earn points - points you're paying for. Or offer a discount for cash.

There's a very old saying in business: Cash makes no enemies.

WOW.. thanks for all the replies everyone. One bank wanted 65 a month, thats ALOT if you ask me. Ive only had 2 people ask if i accept cc's in the past year so to pay over 700 a year just doesnt seem worth it to me...

The iphone app seems really cool, but i dnt have an iphone. I agree cash is always the best and i always do offer a "discount" for cash payments. I would just like an old school slider to keep on the van, and a 800 # i can call and verify funds, and have them sent to my checking account. But id like to pay $30 a month.. Not sure if thats possible but ill keep looking!

duraleigh
Posted: March 25th, 2010, 2:25 pm Reply with quote

Hi, Matt,

I can help. You're right, that industry is full of scams....FULL of them!!

If you'll PM me your phone # I can tell you my experiences and help get you started.

Im not sure how to take the above post... SOUNDS LIKE A SCAM! LOL LOL LOL...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.