May 19, 2009
Test Results:

FCL: 7.5
CC: 0.5
CYA:25
pH: 7.3
TA:30
CAL:110

Over night test was done, no indcation of a drop in Cl residual, however im getting water that seems hazy/thick. Tried shocking with MPS hasnt worked, is there anything else that may cause this haze?

The TA reading iv posted wasnt a typo, i havn't experienced couldy water problems in the past with low TA. Would this be the problem?

I usually backwash when i see a 5 psi differential from the clean startup pressure and nothing stirs up when i brush the pool.. any advice would be great.

Iv added some PMS and Alum seems like the water has cleared a up a bit, not to sure which of the two has actually helped.

The TA was just an observation - we recommend 70-90. It is not likely related to the cloudiness.

How many hours a day do you run your pump?

Is there a reason you are shocking with MPS instead of regular bleach/chlorine?

Can you put your pool equipment and specs in your signature.... go to User Control Panel, then Profile, then Edit Signature.

You mentioned "backwash" Is this a sand filter? If so, you could try the DE in the filter trick, read about that in Pool School. Some attest to better clarity by adding the DE. Also, if it's sand, you could open it up and see if the sand is channelled.

I don't think the low TA level is directly related to the cloudy water, but you should raise TA regardless.

There are at least a hundred possible causes of cloudy water. Algae is by far the most common, followed by calcium clouding. Neither of those seem likely given what you have told us, though I can't completely rule out either one without more information. The third most common cause is a broken or bypassed filter.

Alum is a floculant, it causes particles in the water to clump together and settle to the bottom. That is probably what improved the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.