Cloudy Water

Test Results:

FCL: 7.5
    CC: 0.5
    CYA:25
    pH: 7.3
    TA:30
    CAL:110

Over night test was done, no indcation of a drop in Cl residual, however im getting water that seems hazy/thick. Tried shocking with MPS hasnt worked, is there anything else that may cause this haze?
    27,500gal IG plaster that needs recoating/painting!, Pentair Whisper-flo 1hp 2 speed, 48sf DE, Pentair Legend II pressure-side cleaner, BBB newbie

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy Water

Filter or circulation issues would be the next possibility. Does anything stir up if you brush the pool?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Your TA is too low. Or is that a typo?

Try increasing your filtration time. When's the last time you backwashed/cleaned the filter?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

The TA reading iv posted wasnt a typo, i havn't experienced couldy water problems in the past with low TA. Would this be the problem?

I usually backwash when i see a 5 psi differential from the clean startup pressure and nothing stirs up when i brush the pool.. any advice would be great.

Iv added some PMS and Alum seems like the water has cleared a up a bit, not to sure which of the two has actually helped.
    27,500gal IG plaster that needs recoating/painting!, Pentair Whisper-flo 1hp 2 speed, 48sf DE, Pentair Legend II pressure-side cleaner, BBB newbie

5. Back To Top    #5

The TA was just an observation - we recommend 70-90. It is not likely related to the cloudiness.

How many hours a day do you run your pump?

Is there a reason you are shocking with MPS instead of regular bleach/chlorine?

Can you put your pool equipment and specs in your signature.... go to User Control Panel, then Profile, then Edit Signature.

You mentioned "backwash" Is this a sand filter? If so, you could try the DE in the filter trick, read about that in Pool School. Some attest to better clarity by adding the DE. Also, if it's sand, you could open it up and see if the sand is channelled.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't think the low TA level is directly related to the cloudy water, but you should raise TA regardless.

There are at least a hundred possible causes of cloudy water. Algae is by far the most common, followed by calcium clouding. Neither of those seem likely given what you have told us, though I can't completely rule out either one without more information. The third most common cause is a broken or bypassed filter.

Alum is a floculant, it causes particles in the water to clump together and settle to the bottom. That is probably what improved the water.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School