Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Morton rust remover pellets as pool salt?

1. Back To Top    #1

Morton rust remover pellets as pool salt?

I've read that you can use water softener salt as pool salt, provided that it is greater than 99 percent pure salt.
    We use our well water to top up our pool (initial fill is from a truck), and while we treat the water to remove iron, I know the system is not perfect as we have rust stains on some of our plumbing fixtures. I am wondering if using the rust remover pellets would help us to avoid rust staining in our pool.

The composition of the Morton Rust Remover pellets is:

*Sodium Chloride (%) 99.45 99.2 - 99.6
    Calcium Sulfate (%) 0.17 0 - 0.35
    Sodium Sulfate (%) - 0 - 0.12
    Other Salts (%) 0.03 0 - 0.10
    Moisture (%) - Less than 0.1
    Water Insolubles (ppm)** 20 5 - 40
    Citric Acid (%) 0.35 0.3 - 0.4

What do you think? Would the citric acid fight staining in the pool? Or would the additives be harmful to the SWCG and other pool elements?
    40,000 gallons, IG, pebble, SWCG, cartridge, in-floor cleaning system, Maryland

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Morton rust remover pellets as pool salt?

Only use pure salt, no additives. i dont even like to use water softner salt. Some do, i dont like it. The pellets are too big and takes too long to dissolve. I like Motons pool salt.

But always use pure salt. Anything you put in your pool, you sholud know how much you are puttng in and why.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

you can use the Morton blue bag pellets but you don't want any other additives, like the ones you mentioned.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

It won't really help prevent stains. Chlorine and citric acid destroy each other, so the citric acid will be gone in short order and waste some chlorine while it is at it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Sulfates are not good for the cell either. It can wear down the Ruthenium Oxide coating.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the advice. I bought Diamond Crystal solar salt in the blue bag, which I have read is okay.
    40,000 gallons, IG, pebble, SWCG, cartridge, in-floor cleaning system, Maryland