Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dealership for repairs?

1. Back To Top    #1

Dealership for repairs?

Do you go to a car dealership for your various service/repair issues?

We really try to avoid it and here's an example of why (rant to follow .)

In a moment of ditziness, I took out my side tow mirror on my truck, backing out of the garage. To make a VERY long story (which really put me in a mood-but I'm saving you from the rant) the dealership wanted $497 to replace the broken mirror and motor mount for the auto-adjustable mirror). I know an owner of an autobody repair shop and ended up going there, and it's going to be $320.

I have other stories of dealerships charging an arm and a leg for service/labor.

Ask around for friends recommendations on mechanics and car parts-repair. I think so many people are ripped off at dealerships, kinda like pool stores, and we don't even question it.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dealership for repairs?

whoa! Side mirror.

We use the dealerships for warranties.

Speaking of the side mirror!!

My driver side mirror (2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee) glass became goopie from the stuff melting behind the glass......anyhoo, the mirror needed replaced.

Dealership to replace mirror only: About $300

Dealership to replace the entire mirror: About $500

Ordering the replacement glass online and replacing it myself (ourselves) , about $40 and that included a tube of stickie stuff.

We could have ordered the entire mirror thing (with the plug-in, heated, etc) for about $50, but we did not feel comfortable with the amount of mechanic-type stuff needed to be done with replacing the entire unit!

My mirror looks just fine and works great.

It really pays to shop around!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Dealership for warranty items only.
    My mechanic for everything else. Cheaper by at least a third, somtimes half.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Same here with dealerships, warranty only. I use a mechanic for things I know I dont have tools for. Go to a quick lube for oil changes and what not. I do my own brakes though ...
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Dealership??! What dealership would I go to for this??!
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Back To Top    #6

OMG where did you find "pool water" as a paint color? LOL
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

7. Back To Top    #7

Time for a rant from the other side: I work at a dealership. I worked at independents for 22 years before that. I like having the parts fit perfectly every time now. I dislike the corporate mentality.

Where I work, scheduled maintenance - oil & filter, clean/adjust brakes, rotate tires, load test battery, fill the fluids, give it the once-over, is about $10 more than Jiffy Lube charges - and they don't pull the wheels off. Hardly overpriced. AND we have records of it and all other dealers can access it, too. You bought a battery and it dies 8 months later in another state - no problem. No hunting for receipts, no hauling it to the store, easy.

Here's a scenario: car stalls in the morning. I find a lot of sludge in the throttle body. Is it too much? We could try cleaning it and see if it stalls the next morning. But the customer won't leave it overnight for us - the work order says promise time is 5:00 MUST. I could clean it and ask them to try it. Or I can sell an idle speed motor and know it's fixed. Here's what happens: I try to save them some cash. Problem is still there, car comes back. Suddenly it's a "recheck" and shop foreman gets involved, royal pain in the rear. Then they get a postcard survey. Question one: was it fixed right the first time. No. No matter how much we explained the scenario, they still see it as no. So I get dinged and my Customer Satisfaction Index drops. Sometimes a lot, when only four people out of literally hundreds I work on reply. No quarterly bonus for me. Gotta score 90% or better... Next time, it's CYA.

Here's another: guy takes his car to some quick lube, only comes to the dealer for warranty. Comes in with a really annoying rattle, idling in gear. After much searching, noise is pinpointed. The air filter they sold him is too thin, and the air cleaner lid doesn't clamp tight, so it rattles. Not warranty - nothing the factory did wrong. We tell him what it is. He won't even buy the right air filter from us!! And since the initial estimate was zero, as it appeared to be warranty, he drives off for free. Leaving the mechanic to try to get paid on an in-house basis.

A recent one: car failed Smog Check - horribly. Amazing the car wasn't blowing black smoke. Someone else sold the guy a carburetor, a catalytic converter, and an oxygen sensor to no avail. And it probably exceeded the blue book value of the car. I spent about an hour and a half straightening out scrambled vacuum hoses, and running a few checks and found the wire for the feedback control was cut. Looks like it had gotten pinched in the air cleaner. Go root through the wiring connector junk box, snip,snip, crimp, crimp, cured. I'd be willing to bet there was nothing wrong with the carburetor. The oxygen sensor could have been bad - it was 20 years and 180,000 miles old. The catalytic converter, almost certainly bad, but only from running grossly rich for who knows how long. 1/10 the cost, and fixed.

How 'bout those tire pressure sensors? Some yahoo at a tire store doesn't know they exist, and breaks it off patching a tire. Then the customer comes in with a warranty complaint. Nope. That'll be $115 for the sensor and $100 to reprogram the system. Unless the tire shop has the $9000 laptop with the proprietary software. Or the junior version - a $400 cable, you provide the laptop, and $2000/yr subscription for the software. But the dealer has to have all that stuff. That's part of why our labor rate is higher. You sure saved big, there, buddy. We charge $15 to patch a tire, and the tire place is only $12. And if we break the sensor, we fix it and reprogram it for free, right then, and you're none the wiser.

One independent I worked at for literally weeks charged MORE than the dealer hourly rate. People assumed he was cheaper because it was an independent!

I've seen so many hack jobs. We tell someone they need a battery as part of their service. They say no. Next time we see them, it's for some complaint that we find was caused by their new, loose battery careening around smashing electrical connectors. Because to save the $20 installation and another $10 on the battery, they went somewhere else. And since somewhere else didn't have the right battery in stock, they stuck something else in, and the holddown wouldn't fit. And now the customer gets to pay for a bigger repair.

I could go on and on and on, but dinner's ready.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

All I know is:
    Brake job, 800 bucks at dodge

Brake job 550, my mechanic

Who you think im using? Independant mechanics are like anytihng else, good ones bad ones. Bad lawyers, bad doctors, good lawyers, good doctors. As a rule, dealerships are way too expensive, IMO.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

9. Back To Top    #9

I hear ya. I wouldn't have gone there were it not for the two warranty items and the minor recall item.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    OMG where did you find "pool water" as a paint color? LOL
    Hey, I'm in the business, right Gotta look like I'm really a "pool guy"!

11. Back To Top    #11

I happen to drive Chevy trucks. They all go to the dealer for work, even oil changes. When it comes time to sell them, I break out the stack of service records and present them to the potential buyer. That alone is worth every penny I spend at the dealer. Additionally, I know my Service Writer and the Service Manager, because I have spent my time getting to know them. They appreciate that, and I am sure I get better service because of it, and I know I don't pay "full price" for my work.

Mama drives a BMW. It goes to an independent that I have known for a very long time. He does great work, and is always fair. I also know the Service Writer there as well as a couple of the mechanics. They know I take my trucks to the dealer, and don't ask for that work. They have done work on my old Jeepster, when I can't or don't want to! That thing is so old and easy to work on that it seems silly to take anywhere!

Moral of my story: It pays to get to know the folks who work on your vehicle(s), be it the dealer or an independent. I never go to Jiffy Lube or one of the "quickie" joints. Way too many horror stories out of there, and I need my vehicles reliable! Dad always said you needed a good banker, attorney and mechanic. He was right!

12. Back To Top    #12

I never go to the dealership unless the car is under factory warranty. Luckily, we have a local mechanic who does us right 100% of the time and can handle anything we have thrown at him thus far. It's good to have someone like that. Hard to come by it seems.

13. Back To Top    #13

Last year's Toyota was the first new car we've had in ages. We sprang for prepaid maintenance and so take it to the dealer every time for that. No complaints on that score. I do wish Toyota corporate could get its head out of the sand on the recall thing, but that's a separate issue.

The aging minivan finally went to the dealer, despite the upsell tactics, simply because the guy we've been using didn't want to contend with cracked motor mounts. The dealer service didn't push the upsell too hard, we let them do the 100K service at the same time.

I do want to say something about tire pressure monitors; if your tires are so feeble that they require constant monitoring, then I don't want them on my car. If they don't require constant monitoring, then the monitors exist only to make the car more expensive to buy and maintain, i.e. are a scam.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR

I do want to say something about tire pressure monitors; if your tires are so feeble that they require constant monitoring, then I don't want them on my car. If they don't require constant monitoring, then the monitors exist only to make the car more expensive to buy and maintain, i.e. are a scam.
    --paulr
    HA!! Yea, i hear that. i have them on my toyota. The pressure in my tires is fine, but the light is still on. i havent reset it nor do i really know how. If the thing ever went on the fritz and didnt work, i wouldnt care in the least.

15. Back To Top    #15

I wrote a whole discertation on why I love my dealer but then -- poof! It's gone. Suffice it to say, they have great prices on service and I know what I'm getting. There are great dealers out there and you should shop around to find a great one.

As for the TPMS, they weren't put there for people that regularly check they're tires. They were put there because the majority of drivers NEVER check their tire pressure. The Ford/Firestone fiasco was blamed on people not maintaining proper air pressure in their tires. Right or wrong, that's partially why they're required equipment now.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    .... they're required equipment now.
    Right - the key is that it is now required equipment; not because car makers want to scam anyone, but because the government is requiring that they protect you from yourself.
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

17. Back To Top    #17

We have a great GM dealership around the corner. I get oil changes and diagnostics there. If its something easy DH can repair, he does it. But there is something to be said for having the right equipment and experience when working on cars. They had our DDs Malibu on and off most of a summer, because they couldn't find the problem, Turned out a wire was shorting out. Cost of reapair + multiple visits was a couple of hundred dollars total. Could we have found the problem with out them? No way. But the shop guys were happy when we got rid of that car!

They know us by name and have the service records on hand if we ever need them. They do a nice job. The beater pick up goes to Walmart for oil changes, and repairs are done the same way. Good service techs are hard to find and when we do we like to keep them. Kim
    5 years 18' Intex Frame pool, July 2009 upgrade, 28ft rnd used Doughboy, 1hs Hayward Power Flow pump, Doughboy DE filter.TF test kit