Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tomorrow is the day.

1. Back To Top    #1

Tomorrow is the day.

So we break ground tomorrow. The only thing that really worries me is water under the ground. It seems we have some sort of underground spring in the front corner of the house. It is always wet there no matter what.

The back of the yard is usually pretty dry so we will see.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tomorrow is the day.

Good luck. I'm in the middle of a build now and they hit ground water at about the 4 foot depth.

To get it dry enough to shoot the concrete tank they had a 4HP gas powered semi-trash pump and a 1 HP electric pump running.

So, don't fret too much.
    Geometric 16X36', 16K gal, shotcrete, exposed aggregate plaster, acrylic coated concrete deck/cantilever coping;
    Pentair equipment suite (EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, Intelliflo VS-3050, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG);
    Heliocol solar panels, Rocky's Roller, Blue Diamond robot

3. Back To Top    #3

Stop WORK! Get a soils engineer report! With water under the pool at 4', it will compact the supporting soil. The pool will sink if it's gunite.
    If it's a liner, the liner will float.
    If it's a F/G shell, it will float if the water is lowered.

There are a lot of costly things that need to be done before that ground is suitable to support a pool.

See the thread "Having trouble with water level".

Don't let them POO POO you. Make them guarantee it won't float or sink/settle in writing before you let them continue. Having a pool
    is great but not if the soil can't support it. Then it's a nightmare, your nightmare and money.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    Stop WORK! Get a soils engineer report! With water under the pool at 4', it will compact the supporting soil. ...Scott
    Scott, if you're addressing me, thanks for keeping an eye out, but in my case it's the norm for the area.

I can't remember seeing any pool go in that didn't hit water.

Has to do with sandy soil -- really just sand, the only soil is top soil brought in for the yard grass -- and elevation.

My house is 8.57 feet above sea level and on a strip of land only 4 blocks wide, Atlantic Ocean on one side, Intercoastal Waterway on the other.

And if you're addressing the OP, maybe I was too hasty thinking conditions were the same.

OP, Scott is a veritable fountain of knowledge and worth a listen (IMO).
    Geometric 16X36', 16K gal, shotcrete, exposed aggregate plaster, acrylic coated concrete deck/cantilever coping;
    Pentair equipment suite (EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, Intelliflo VS-3050, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG);

5. Back To Top    #5

Dankfoot, would you resize that drawing.

Thanks,

Scott

PS- Lee, sorry, mitook you for the the OP. In any case, I hope they put a dry well in under your pool.
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    ...Lee, sorry, mitook you for the the OP. In any case, I hope they put a dry well in under your pool.
    Yes sir, there's a hole several feet deep under the whole width/length of the "deep" end with two 2" PVC lines roughly spaced about 4 feet or so apart embedded in gravel.

They started the dig with a delivery of 11 yards of rock (covers the whole bottom), and then dug an extra bucket or two and added 4 more yards when they saw the extent of the water problem.

7. Back To Top    #7

Good luck with it!