Just getting started in Keller Texas

i'm back................

i went and purchased the stabilizer today. should i go ahead and add the 8 pounds at one time or add half and test and then adjust accordingly? i've read where it's very difficult to get the CYA down if it get to high.

thanks all

We recommend adding 2-3 lbs at a time, via "sock method".

You pour in the CYA, tie a knot and place it in the skimmer or tie it off in front of a return. Repeat till you have added enough to reach your goal. Retest in about 5-7 days, it takes that long to show up on test. After 24 hours, assume the CYA is there and your FC min adjusts accordingly.

Did you verify the amount to use via the pool calc?

i verified it via the owners manuals for the Pentair SWG that I have. it states for a 18,000 gal pool if your CYA is at 20 to raise it to 75 ppm that i would need to add 8.25 pounds. my pool is just a bit larger than that but didn't want to raise it to much due to previous concerns.

hello all, just wanted to give you an update. i added 4 lbs of stabilizer on friday and then tested my chlorine yesterday after turning the SWG down to 50% 8 days ago and here are the results of that test.

FC 10.5
CC 0
TC 10.5

i did not test the CYA yesterday but did add the additional 4 lbs of stabilizer throughout the day. i also turned off my SWG this morning in hopes of getting the FC down to a manageable number. my plan is to test the CYA monday of next week or should it test it sooner?

thanks

thanks casey for the compliment!

new test today reveals the following:

Water is clear and looks great!
FC 4.0
CC .5
TC 4.5
PH 8.0
T/A 130
CH 300
CYA 75
Water Temp 69

I will add some acid to get the PH down in the acceptable range. I've bumped my SWG back to 35% as well to get the FC back up. Anything else that you see i should address?

thanks all!

WIth CYA at 75 and a SWG the recommended FC level is between 4 and 6, so you aren't very far off. Because you have CC of 0.5, I would bump the FC level up to 5 or 6, but there shouldn't be any need to go higher than that.

Your PH and TA are both a little high. I would lower PH down to 7.2. That will start lowering the TA and give you a little longer before the PH gets too high again.

Based on my pool calculator (iPhone app!) your FC right now is good, you might want to raise it a bit to take care of that .5 CC reading. If it holds at that level (minimum is 3 based on CYA of 70) then you shouldn't need to adjust it very often, only during higher demand times and such.

Maintain your testing and you should have a trouble free pool!

BTW, beautiful pool!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Beautiful pool ajones!! I remember you from Gardenweb. So glad you made your way over here to catch "sparklypoolitis" from the rest of us...it's VERY contagious! :lol: Won't be long until you're able to see exactly how your pool performs over time, and you'll find it easier and easier to make adjustments, especially on the SWG.

Everything I know about my pool water, I've learned here. THANKFULLY! :goodjob: I've kept a really good log over the past year with my new pool, so I can look back and see what I did in different situations. I scanned the top label from my TF 100 test kit and put a bunch of sheets in a 3 ring binder. There have been other test logs posted, too. Enjoy the pool! :whoot:

hey pisces, i rember you from over there as well! this is such a great site!

i have one quick question. We've had around 3 inches of rain here over the past 2 days and i'm struggling to keep my PH down. I tested it today and it was 7.8 but i read in a different post that areation could cause a higher PH. on my pool pictures posted previously, you can see that the water comes out of the spa and into the pool, could this be the reason that my PH continues to stay fairly high? also, i know that a new pool with plaster curing can cause high PH as well. with that said, i have a variable speed pump and honestly i don't feel that i'm getting the bang for my buck. my thought process here is that i can run the pump longer during the day at slower speeds to both save me some $$$ and also to reduce the areation from the spa overflow. i will post later what the PB set the pump to run at and the length of time and maybe get some additional idea as to better speeds to run it at!

as always, thanks everyone for your assistance and feedback!

Yes, your higher TA combined with your water features/SWG all make it a battle for the PH. When you lower the pH, what are you targeting? 7.2?
Where does your TA stand now?

Google search, bottom left corner, about pump run times and/or begin a new thread about the pump run time to get a better response - start it in "the pumping station". :)

completed a full test today and the results are as follows:

FC 9.0
CC 0.0
TC 9.0
PH 7.6
TA 80
CH 250
CYA 75
TEMP 68

Water looks great. my TA came down considerably compared to my last test. i suspect it was due to me not cleaning the dropper with a damp cloth between drop in previouis tests.

frustrated pool mom, i am targeting 7.2 with the PH. with my TA down would you suggest i target 7.2 or keep it in the range it's in?

everything looks on target at this point. very happy with the test kit as it gets easier and easier to use each time. such a time saver instead of going to the pool store on a regular basis.

i will post something else on the pumping station area.

thanks again everyone!

Hi, ajones...yes, I have the same thing..spillover spa, SWG, curing (still) plaster that contributes to pH rise. I just live with it, check my pH, take it to 7.5 when it gets to 7.8 with MA. I'm in the routine now and it's not very time consuming really. My TA is 70. I'm checking it every other day because I know what it's been doing, but soon when the temps rise, and I turn on the SWG in a few days, I'll check it daily to see how things go this year. Happy testing and keeping that pool under control! :whip: Swimming and spa soaking in your sparkly clean water will make the testing SO worth it!

hello pices....how goes it???

well folks TFP i'm back. i don't think that i have a major issue or anything yet as the pool looks great and the water temperature is currently 83 degrees. here are my test results from tonight.

FC 2.5
CC .5
TC 3.0
PH 7.6
TA 70
CH 270
CYA 35-40 ***this is what i'm concerned about

i tested the cya 3 times tonight just to be sure of what i was seeing and documenting. actually one of the reasons i tested the CYA again was that i had to keep bumping up the SWG to keep up with the chlorine loss and i thought that was a bit unusual if the CYA was up in the 70-80 range. my pool is in full sun and and never gets any shade. the last CYA test i did was back on 05/02 and it tested at 75. with everything that i've read and can remember CYA totals are slow to go downward unless there is considerable water added or if a pool is drained and refilled.

am i missing anything here or are the thoughts that i'm just going to have to stay top on the CYA through the summer?

any feedback or insight would be most excellent!

Not sure exactly the total of amount of water added but i can tell you that i've added approximately 8 inches of water over the past month or so. is there something i'm missing here because i wasn't planning on adding additional stabilizer until summer sometime

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.