Over Sized Pump? New Pool Guy

Guys,

I think I've made a decision on a pump. I believe I'm going with a Pentair 3/4 HP Superflo pump.
http://www.aquasuperstore.com/products/ ... ~4817.html

In my part of the country we have pool season 3 months out of the year so not having a 2 speed pump or high energy efficient pump is not really going to hurt the bank. I believe the previous owner of the house prior to putting on a 3HP Jandy had a 1HP Hayward Super Pump.

Also, could someone tell me why I have that green valve coming out of a return? "See Pic Above"

The valve is probably just for draining water when the level gets too high.

BTW, you never answered my first question, what was the filter pressure with the 3 HP pump. Just curious.

Oh, sorry.

I haven't a clue because the dial was broken and filled with water. I'm assuming because of the pump.

We're still trying to understand why someone would purchase an expensive 3HP pump for this pool with 1.5" piping. Turn over rate possibly.

I ended up purchasing a 3/4 HP Superflo and changed the sand in my Hayward 220.

The new pump seems to work really well and keep a pressure at 12PSI. Very Quite!

I did move the plumping about 6 feet so I could install a small pool house. I think I added 20 elbows after everything was said and done. I hated to add them but I needed to move the plumbing around to the side of the pad and with 4 returns it added up quick.

Overall the pool is looking good. Just need to pop in some loose vinyl spots and thats about it.

For anyone else reading this an FYI. Yesterday I took the time to look at my electric bill, which gives usage info for the same month the year before and the previous month the same year. Average daily temps are shown for each of those months. Two or three months ago I replaced my one speed Challenger 2.23 SFHP and undersized 36 sq ft DE filter with an Intelliflo VF, Quad DE 80 sq ft filter, and took out a lot of old plumbing near the pad. It was all 1.5". Replaced above ground plumbing with 2". I have always run the pump near 24/7 most of the year. I'm running the VF 23/7 now for 1.5 turnovers a day.

All other things being virtually equal my electric bill was $147 less last month using last years rate compared to same time last year.

$147 reduction per month is HUGE.

The big filter and VF pump are going to pay for themselves in a little over a years time.

I'm also figuring that by discontinuing using my Polaris and its booster pump, which I run minimum 10 hours a day, because of the massive amounts of stuff that makes it into my pool, via wind and dogs, I'll save an additional $200 a month. The VF pump has to rev up some for the suction cleaner but not nearly as high as the 3450 rpm booster pump. If I didn't use the vacuum cleaner I would probably see a $250 savings every month.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm researching after build auto or semi auto safety covers now. I'm not going to purchase now, maybe never. That would further reduce our need for electricity. And I am seriously considering installing a loop loc type cover for three or four months during winter.

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.