Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Over Sized Pump? New Pool Guy

1. Back To Top    #1

Over Sized Pump? New Pool Guy

Purchased a house in Nov that came with a 36ft by 18ft 33,000 gallon pool. After many long hours larking the forum I believe my pump is WAY over sized.

Pump: Jandy Stealth
    Model: SHPF3.0
    3hp

I have 1 1/2 pipes going underground to the pump from the looks of it.

Filter: Hayward Pro Series
    Model: S220T

After researching I was thinking of taking off the Pump and replacing it with a 1HP or 1/2 HP motor. What do you think?

Also, could some describe these pipes? Returns?
    24K Gallon 16X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S220T Sand Filter with 3/4 HP Pentair Superflo.
    Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Over Sized Pump? New Pool Guy

Quote Originally Posted by mobileguy
    After researching I was thinking of taking off the Pump and replacing it with a 1HP or 1/2 HP motor. What do you think?
    Welcome to the forum

Congratulations on your new house and pool! Though hardly an expert in pump sizing (both a science and art, evidently) I can assist by suggesting that you post a little more information about your current system.

Are you wanting to replace the pump just for energy efficiency or some other reason?

How many hours a day is the pump normally on for circulation/filtering?

What is the distance between equipment pad and pool?

Also, it would helpful to know...
    The other components of your pool that impact flow rate, such as a spa, water features, automated pool cleaners, heaters, SWG, solar, number of returns, skimmers etc.

If you know or have estimated the current GPM, include this and the PSI at the filter.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm thinking if the pump is oversized it can lead to filter and plumping failure?

I have yet to run it, but the timer is set on I believe 8 hours.

10-15 feet.

None listed above. No additional components.
    Taylor K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeah, I'm no expert either but I'd say unless its a variable speed it's probably oversized which can lead to channelling and other filtration issues, not to mention a high elec bill.
    If you are swapping it out consider a 2 speed pump which can yield great savings on your elec bill.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

A 3 HP pump is way too large for a simple pool without a spa or water features, even if it is 33,000 gallons. I doubt that a large pump could cause any damage to the plumbing, but it could certainly put a strain on all but the largest filters and significantly lower their filtering ability.

You shouldn't replace just the motor on your existing pump with a different size motor, without also replacing the impeller. Replacing the entire pump is fine.

The S220T is designed for a 52 GPM flow rate, while your current pump should be putting out over 100 GPM. You only need 46 GPM to get two turnovers a day, or 69 GPM to get three turnovers, so a much smaller pump will be fine. A smaller pump, especially a two speed pump or a variable speed pump, will also save you quite a bit on electricity.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I would curious as to what your filter pressure is with that pump.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

1.5" plumbing should never have anything larger than a 1.5 HP pump.

The S220, either a 3/4 or 1 HP, depending on distance from the pool. Under 50', 3/4, over 50' is a 1HP.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    1.5" plumbing should never have anything larger than a 1.5 HP pump.
    Just to clarify slightly, none of the pipes will blow up or otherwise be damaged by having small pipes with a large pump, it is just a monumental waste of electricity.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

And a 3 HP pump will cavitate because it's starved. A 1.5" pipe cannot supply a sufficient volume water due to the head loss. The faster water travels through plumbing, the more friction there is and it goes up very, very quickly as the speed increases.

If this pool was plumbed with flex pipe, the suction lines could collapse under ground.

Skimmers may suck air if the water isn't kept higher than normal, and even then, they can be overwhelmed.

I doubt there is a VGB compliant drain cover. The suction there is very strong in this case and poses a serious safety concern.

As we have said, reducing the size of that pump is VERY important and not just because of the energy it wastes, but more because of the safety factors and potential for additional and expensive repairs it would cause.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank You guys!

I'm going to list it on CL and sale it and go buy a 3/4 pump.

Could someone explain the piping? All returns?
    Taylor K-2006

11. Back To Top    #11

Also, I only want to spend $200-$350 on a new pump. Which make and model should I get for best energy efficiency?

I would like to stick to 3/4 HP because I believe i could run it 8-10 hours a day for low energy costs compared to 1 HP.
    Taylor K-2006

12. Back To Top    #12

I would suggest just a motor, impeller, seal set, body-o-ring and diffuser so you don't have to change the plumbing.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by mobileguy
    Also, could some describe these pipes? Returns?
    Your picture is a little close to tell for sure but the three that are disconnected appear to be returns. Do you have three returns in the pool? As for figuring out which is which you can turn them off one at a time once you get the pump running and figure out where they are.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

If you don't have a spa, get a 1/2 HP full rated motor as the replacement. Slower flow, and you'll have a lower electric bill and better water clarity.

Luke
    caretaker of over 500,000 gallons of water weekly

www.youtube.com/lukepoolservice

15. Back To Top    #15

Luke - What model do you recommend? Just run it 24hrs?

Also, I just found out my pool is 26,000 gallons little smaller then thought.
    Taylor K-2006

16. Back To Top    #16

I suggest taking a look at the 1/2 HP or 3/4 HP full rated high efficiency Pentair WhisperFlo.

17. Back To Top    #17

Hey Mobileguy,

I've been lurking for a couple of weeks and I have a similar situation as you do. Just bought a house. I have a 2hp pump with a pool that is smaller than yours with an inground spa. The water fall has a 1.5 hp pump. I'm very curious as to what you do and your results.
    12K gal, In Ground, Vinyl, Sand Filter 35 GPM, Hayward Pump 1 hp, Mesh Safety Cover

18. Back To Top    #18

What about the SuperFlo models? From the looks it seems a .5 HP uses less AMP's then a WhisperFlo.
    Taylor K-2006

19. Back To Top    #19

You really can't tell the efficiency of a pump by just looking at the motor amp rating. The GPM/Watt-hr is better metric to use and the CEC publishes GPM/Watt-hr ratings for nearly every pump on the market (see pump energy comparison link in my sig). The Whisperflo is one of the more efficient pumps on the market and is a more efficient pump than the Superflo series.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

20. Back To Top    #20

Superflo is nice when swapping out a Hayward Superpump.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast