saltwater pool damage pics

Feb 2, 2010
I have seen a ton of post about saltwater damaging different flagstones and rocks. I am considering a salt system and will be using OK flagstone and moss rock. Can someone post some pics of the damage you have or have seen? There are several builders that request the customer to sign off on this for warranty purposes. I have not seen any pics, but would like to see how the saltwater affects the different sandstones. I would like to see what my pool might would look like several years down the road.

Unfortunately, it's not a simple matter to figure out if there will be stone damage from salt splash-out and evaporation or from stone damage in non-SWG pools, for that matter. Harder stones that do not absorb water (they tend to bead water) or stones that are sealed are unlikely to be a problem while stones that are softer and absorb water such as some limestone can be more problematic. It may be that hotter drier climates are more of a problem as there is faster evaporation and no summer rains to dilute any absorbed salt. Note that most SWG owners don't see a problem, but some do.

You can see some pictures of stone and metal corrosion in various links (look at the "labels" section on the right) in this blog. Note that some corrosion happens in non-SWG pools as well so the difference is mostly one of rate. There are also other factors that can be involved, such as having a pool (usually an indoor pool) with no Cyanuric Acid (CYA) in the water in which case the combination of salt (high chloride levels) and high active chlorine (oxidizer) levels can be particularly corrosive to stainless steel.

Interesting reading there. Thanks for the reply. Does anyone have some pics of Saltwater pools that have OK flagstone or Arizona that has been sealted and pool chemicals kept in check? Would like to see some positive info on this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.