Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: what does scaling look like?

1. Back To Top    #1

what does scaling look like?

I now have what looks like thin white "dripping" streaks running down my newly plastered stonescape pool wall. My chemistry seems balanced, but as stated on another thread my water turned green(clear green) right after my PB poured chlorine in the pool for the 1st time. The FC test read 10 a few hours after the chlorine was added. 9.5 the next day when the pool turned green. I have been running the pump and it got lighter but now these streaks are appearing. Help!!!!

I took pictures but you cant see the lines with the light and depth.
    18,900 Stonescapes Tahoe Blue xtra black, 8 jet Spa, Pentair inteliflo VS , Pentair FNS 60 DE, Inteliclor40, Pentair 400,000 Mastertemp heater, 3 spillovers powered by a Pentair 1 HP whisperflo pump, The pool Cleaner, 2 Intellibright color changing lights and 400 sq ft. of Heliocol roof mounted solar.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: what does scaling look like?

What you're describing sounds like scale or could be streaking from the new plaster. How new is the plaster and what color is it. Make sure you saturation index is good but usually these items can be easily removed by dropping the pH and brushing, adding a sequestering agent or doing an acid start up procedure for new plaster.
    Frank Bowman

http://www.SplashPoolsMD.com
    http://www.FrankBowman.com

Authorized Dealer: Pebble Tec, Paramount, Aquamatic Covers, Pentair, Crystal Fountains, Jandy, Hayward

3. Back To Top    #3

were on about our 14th day. Its carribean blue with extra black. CSI seems perfect.

FC-5
    PH-7.5
    TA-130
    CH- 310
    CYA- 50
    18,900 Stonescapes Tahoe Blue xtra black, 8 jet Spa, Pentair inteliflo VS , Pentair FNS 60 DE, Inteliclor40, Pentair 400,000 Mastertemp heater, 3 spillovers powered by a Pentair 1 HP whisperflo pump, The pool Cleaner, 2 Intellibright color changing lights and 400 sq ft. of Heliocol roof mounted solar.

4. Back To Top    #4

If you have been keeping the PH below 8.0 at all times, calcium scaling is very unlikely. But if you have allowed the PH to drift up above 8.0 at some point then calcium scaling is much more likely.

A photo would help us identify what might be happening. You should also check with the builder.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

The original acid start up had a high PH above 8 but held for only a day. The rest of the time it has been well within range.