Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand Filter Pressure Gauge

1. Back To Top    #1

Middle TN

Sand Filter Pressure Gauge

Pool friends,

I am still making rounds over everything for starting up my pool in Spring. The one thing I noticed unusual is the pressure gauge on top of the sand filter. It says 8 psi. Are these just cheap gauges and this error is normal? Should I replace it? Could there really be 8 psi on the gauge? Nothing is running and hasn't been since October of last year. The valve is also set to the Winter position.

Thanks everyone for helping me with my earlier posts!

In-ground 21,000 gallon w/ vinyl liner
    Aqua Rite Chlorine Generator
    Hayward Sand Filter S244T 20GPM
    Hayward Super Pump 1 HP

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Sand Filter Pressure Gauge

They're cheap gauges and there is always a little water left in the bourdon tube so it's prone to freezing and permanently deforming it causing the gauge to read erratically. I'd replace it with a little better quality while I was at it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Indiana

Re: Sand Filter Pressure Gauge

You can get the same gauge at a farm store for quite a bit less than a pool store sells it. You can also get a larger gauge there with larger numbers if your eyes are as bad as mine. I've never had one make it through the winter stored outside. Mine spent the winter in the sock drawer this year, so I hope to get a second year out of it.

If your filter is outdoors, keep the old gauge to use as a plug for the gauge port to keep water out of the filter during the winter.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat