Pentair SWG reports low salt

jeffbg

Jul 29, 2008
It is getting warmer here in SoCal, so I've been running the solar and the water is getting warmer. Today, my SWG showed the "check salt" light. I checked it and cleaned out a small amount of scale on the inside and gave it an acid wash, but it still reports the same.

It seems to be generating chlorine (I see the usual little bubbles).

Is this "normal". Is there anything I can or should do about it?

Readings:

FC=3.5, CC=0, TA=80, pH = 7.4, temp = 73, CYA=70, CH=540

My water is naturally high in CH (about 220-240).

Thanks!

-- Jeff

It could just be due to the temperature change in the water although normally warmer water should make it read higher not lower. I would add just enough salt to get the warning to clear which should be the minimum salt level of 3000 ppm per the Intellichlor manual.

Pentair has been having problems with this, and their fix is currently to change the flow sensor which is supposed to have the temp sensor in it too. The faulty temp sensor is giving the unit the wrong information with relation to salt level readings. You should call Pentair, so they can send someone out for you to fix this problem. I wouldn't add any more salt till you have a sample tested with a meter, NOT with test strips.

I agree that you should let the temperature raise to normal levels before adding more salt as the salt reading will rise as the temperature does. There is nothing wrong with your cell. If the cell is showing the yellow light (low salt) the cell will still generate chlorine. The Intellichlor doesn't stop generating salt until the red indicator light is illuminated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.