Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Pentair SWG reports low salt

Pentair SWG reports low salt

It is getting warmer here in SoCal, so I've been running the solar and the water is getting warmer. Today, my SWG showed the "check salt" light. I checked it and cleaned out a small amount of scale on the inside and gave it an acid wash, but it still reports the same.

It seems to be generating chlorine (I see the usual little bubbles).

Is this "normal". Is there anything I can or should do about it?

Readings:

FC=3.5, CC=0, TA=80, pH = 7.4, temp = 73, CYA=70, CH=540

My water is naturally high in CH (about 220-240).

Thanks!

-- Jeff
    15,000 gal SWG pool, cartridge filter, all pentair equipment, variable speed pump, 400K BTU heater and spa, pebbletec finished

Re: Pentair SWG reports low salt

Consider having the salt level tested at a nearby pool store if you don't have any salt test strips of your own. If you can confirm the salt level that would be good.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

Few questions:

What is the salt reading of the SWG?

How old is the cell?

When did you last add salt?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study
    18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, 450 sq-ft EPDM Solar Panel, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner, DIY Acid Dosing

I added a bit of salt this morning anyways.

The cell is about 1 1/2 years old and is reading 2600ppm.

-- Jeff
    15,000 gal SWG pool, cartridge filter, all pentair equipment, variable speed pump, 400K BTU heater and spa, pebbletec finished

It could just be due to the temperature change in the water although normally warmer water should make it read higher not lower. I would add just enough salt to get the warning to clear which should be the minimum salt level of 3000 ppm per the Intellichlor manual.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study
    18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, 450 sq-ft EPDM Solar Panel, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner, DIY Acid Dosing

Senior Member In the Industry

Pentair has been having problems with this, and their fix is currently to change the flow sensor which is supposed to have the temp sensor in it too. The faulty temp sensor is giving the unit the wrong information with relation to salt level readings. You should call Pentair, so they can send someone out for you to fix this problem. I wouldn't add any more salt till you have a sample tested with a meter, NOT with test strips.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

Junior Member In the Industry

I agree that you should let the temperature raise to normal levels before adding more salt as the salt reading will rise as the temperature does. There is nothing wrong with your cell. If the cell is showing the yellow light (low salt) the cell will still generate chlorine. The Intellichlor doesn't stop generating salt until the red indicator light is illuminated.
    Frank Bowman

http://www.SplashPoolsMD.com
    http://www.FrankBowman.com

Authorized Dealer: Pebble Tec, Paramount, Aquamatic Covers, Pentair, Crystal Fountains, Jandy, Hayward