Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Conductivity

1. Back To Top    #1

Conductivity

Wondering what the Conductivity of a salt pool should be? I have access to a conductivity meter at work and was wondering what it should read. My salt level does not seem to rise according to calcs when I add. This would be a great way to check my meter on my aquarite...

thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Conductivity

Here is a converter. Note that it is not linear over the entire range although between 2000-5000 ppm it is fairly constant. TDS ppm or mg/l is about 64% of microS/cm or mmho/cm.

Also, an even better way is to calibrate the meter with a known sample.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Conductivity

Quote Originally Posted by td01tx
    Wondering what the Conductivity of a salt pool should be? I have access to a conductivity meter at work and was wondering what it should read. My salt level does not seem to rise according to calcs when I add. This would be a great way to check my meter on my aquarite...
    Welcome to the forum

Though members here will suggest, rightly, that there's no need to verify the salt level/conductivity reported by the SWG unless there's a suspected problem (since the SWG/controller is the final arbiter as to whether it operates, regardless of accuracy), it can be reassuring to verify its operation and know that the salt level is about where it should be.

Some conductivity meters have a built-in converter to ppm salt, but the cell controller probably has its own algorithms so don't expect an exact match. If you see yourself needing (or wanting) to verify salt more than once or twice a year, consider a cheap but effective alternative: a drop test that measures salt. I've had great and recent success with the Taylor K-1766 Sodium Chloride Kit ($23). It worked for me when salt test strips did not, and is useful when adding salt or when the salt levels are low or too high as reported by the controller.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009