Leveling a Used Hot Tub

Mar 20, 2010
I just bought a Sundance Denali (4yrs old) from my neighbour. I moved it from his deck to my perfectly leveled patio. I now noticed that with the tub empty it rocks about a 1/2". I have double checked that my patio is perfectly level. I have also checked his deck and it wasn't bad.
Now do I try to shim the hot tub to prevent the movement, problem being that I can only shim the edges.
or
Fill it and hope the weight of the water adjusts the hot tub to match the level patio?

Thanks,
Jamie

That's what I would do using a long level on top rim on all four edges (if square shell) to get a feel for where the water level will be after fill.
Barry

I ran the level all the way around the top of the Tub. The tub is circular and perfectly level all the way around. It is a round tub and the "warpage" has caused 2 opposing sides to lift 1/2" from the decking. Hope thats clear enough. I am thinking I will fill it and cross my fingers hoping that it levels out properly.

Jamie

It will probably level out when you fill it.

HOWEVER - if it is warped at the top where the lip of the tub sits on the wood, there is a slight chance that it will crack when you fill it and it starts to settle. I would watch it carefully when filling and for the next few days, to make sure there is no cracking anywhere, just to be sure. If you notice any cracking, drain and shim anywhere necessary to keep it stable.

I had the same issue when I first got mine, two opposite edges were slightly warped. The previous owners had someone build a cabinet for it, with the only support besides the corners being 2x4s running under the lip from post to post. I built a cabinet with plenty of support, made sure everything was completely level (except for those 2 corners which I hoped would level out. It was only warped about a quarter inch, and when I filled it, everything leveled out nicely...except that at one of the corners I ended up with a half inch crack. I marked the crack so I could check to see if it got any bigger, and it hasn't.

Sorry for the long post, but I thought I'd share what happened with me. If the lip of the tub has been warped for any length of time, when it settles down, it can put stress on other sections and crack. Just keep an eye on it and it should be fine.

By the way, welcome to TFP! :wave:

67ghiaTIV said:
I just bought a Sundance Denali (4yrs old) from my neighbour. I moved it from his deck to my perfectly leveled patio. I now noticed that with the tub empty it rocks about a 1/2". I have double checked that my patio is perfectly level. I have also checked his deck and it wasn't bad.
Now do I try to shim the hot tub to prevent the movement, problem being that I can only shim the edges.
or
Fill it and hope the weight of the water adjusts the hot tub to match the level patio?

Thanks,
Jamie
Forget shims. Spray some Great Stuff foam under there and let it fill in the voids. Did it under a bathtub instead of a pile of mortar, and it worked great. Plus it insulates!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.