Closet mystery

Barfus

Dec 27, 2009
Middle TN
Hi again!

I am starting to get ready for opening my pool soon. I found these things in the closet. Can you help me identify them and tell me what they are used for in the pool?

As always, I appreciate the help.

This may not even be for the pool. It has a funny cut-out at the end.
[attachment=0:wouug2nx]IMG00107a.jpg[/attachment:wouug2nx]

Sorry about the pic. These are philips head screws. They appear to be stainless.
[attachment=1:wouug2nx]IMG00106.jpg[/attachment:wouug2nx]

I am assuming the 3 items are return jets. The handle and rod are hexagonal.
[attachment=2:wouug2nx]IMG00098a.jpg[/attachment:wouug2nx]

Attachments

• IMG00098a.jpg
    IMG00098a.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG00106.jpg
    IMG00106.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG00107a.jpg
    IMG00107a.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 261
Pic #1. Breaker bar/lever you use to put your winter cover on. Feed the spring/loop on the end, end of bar goes over the deck lug, and BAM goes your foot on the spring.

Pic #2. Sheet metal screws. I have some that look just like that to hold panels of the heater in place.

Pic# 3. On the money w/return eyeballs. Orange handled key is what you drive/loosen your winter cover lugs in/out of the deck.

Did I win?

Gkruske,

I think you are correct on everything except the stainless screws. I don't have a heater. The previous owner placed them in a zip top bag along with the return jets so they must be important. Do you or anyone else care to make more guesses for the purpose of the screws?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I guess you could narrow it down this way....very course thread, quite short. Meant to be removed in just a few turns of the screwdriver for fast/easy access.

PoolGuyNJ does make a good point....could be residual plastic on those threads.

OR....have you checked the light niche?

PoolGuyNJ said:
I suspect the screws are for a drain cover. Skimmer cover screws tend to be flat heads. What inquiring minds want to know is what the white is on one of them? Is it plaster, plastic, or Teflon tape?

Scott

If I am remembering right, from when I had the pool empty in late 2008, (and did not replace the drain cover with a to code because I didn't know about that) the head of screw looks like my old style drain cover screws but I'm not sure about the threading and pointed end. The screws in picture look like "self tapping" screws, i.e., thread forming not thread cutting. Is that what is used for some drain covers? My old type cover does use two screws and they were stainless.

http://www2.dupont.com/Plastics/en_US/assets/downloads/design/DCI283.pdf

gg=alice

The screws are non-magnetic. I just have 2 of them. The white stuff on them reminds me of pipe dope compound. I don't have auto fill on the pool.

I have 2 holes in my skimmer lid that are counter sunk but these screws are too big.

If this is for a main drain cover, do they go in the bottom of the pool? I don't have a drain cover in my closet. Why would you want to take the drain cover off anyways?

LOL I haven't even seen the bottom this pool yet. I bought this house in December.

I can't see my light niche either. I think I do have a light because I see a jbox sticking out of the ground. I don't have a light cover in my closet either.

Looking for more ideas !!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.