No pressure and dirty pool

ETex2

Mar 18, 2010
I just bought a home with a gunite pool; very simple set up with only one valve and a cartridge filter. Upon advice from the pool supply co., I have: replaced cartridge and the o-ring in filter basket. Pressure is at maybe 2 PSI, and there is churning water in the basket and pressure coming out of the returns but apparently lots of air too. Every time I start the pump, I do have to bleed air out of the top of the filter. Suggestions? Thanks!

Does the pump ever flush all of the air out of the basket?

If not, then you either need to add enough water to the pool to bring the level up high enough that the skimmer stops sucking air or you need to start looking for a suction side leak.

Yep, Grape Ape's got it.

If the water isn't sucking air thru your skimmer, it's sucking it somewhere between the skimmer and the pump. The most common place is the o-ring in the pump basket lid.

I've replaced the o-ring in the basket, and now I don't have to re-prime it every time. Pump is not a two-speed. But I still have to bleed air out of the top of the filter every time (maybe I don't need to, but there is always lots of air in there). Still no pressure. Hard for me to tell, but it still looks like some air circulating in there with the water, and also out of the returns.

If the pool level is 1/2 up the skimmer, check the flapper (proper term is weir) and see if it's stuck. If it's free floating and the skimmer body is full, the suction side plumbing has a leak or is clogged. Post a picture of the pump and suction plumbing at the equipment pad.

How do you add chlorine?

Scott

PoolGuyNJ said:
If the pool level is 1/2 up the skimmer, check the flapper (proper term is weir) and see if it's stuck. If it's free floating and the skimmer body is full, the suction side plumbing has a leak or is clogged. Post a picture of the pump and suction plumbing at the equipment pad.

How do you add chlorine?

Scott

I take some pics this afternoon and will check the flapper. Chlorine is dispensed via a floating dispenser. I do believe now that there is a leak on the suction side, but wouldn't that cause water leaks too? Can't find any and the pool holds water just fine and is full. Thanks for your help.

Suction side is under fairly high negative pressure so when the pump is on, it will suck air. When the pump is off, it may not leak water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.