Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No pressure and dirty pool

1. Back To Top    #1

No pressure and dirty pool

I just bought a home with a gunite pool; very simple set up with only one valve and a cartridge filter. Upon advice from the pool supply co., I have: replaced cartridge and the o-ring in filter basket. Pressure is at maybe 2 PSI, and there is churning water in the basket and pressure coming out of the returns but apparently lots of air too. Every time I start the pump, I do have to bleed air out of the top of the filter. Suggestions? Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: No pressure and dirty pool

Does the pump ever flush all of the air out of the basket?

If not, then you either need to add enough water to the pool to bring the level up high enough that the skimmer stops sucking air or you need to start looking for a suction side leak.
    20,000 Gallon kidney sort of a sand filtered gunite in ground pool w/ hot tub.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Yep, Grape Ape's got it.

If the water isn't sucking air thru your skimmer, it's sucking it somewhere between the skimmer and the pump. The most common place is the o-ring in the pump basket lid.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I've replaced the o-ring in the basket, and now I don't have to re-prime it every time. Pump is not a two-speed. But I still have to bleed air out of the top of the filter every time (maybe I don't need to, but there is always lots of air in there). Still no pressure. Hard for me to tell, but it still looks like some air circulating in there with the water, and also out of the returns.

5. Back To Top    #5

If you have to constantly bleed air out of the filter, it is getting sucked in from somewhere.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

If the pool level is 1/2 up the skimmer, check the flapper (proper term is weir) and see if it's stuck. If it's free floating and the skimmer body is full, the suction side plumbing has a leak or is clogged. Post a picture of the pump and suction plumbing at the equipment pad.

How do you add chlorine?

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    If the pool level is 1/2 up the skimmer, check the flapper (proper term is weir) and see if it's stuck. If it's free floating and the skimmer body is full, the suction side plumbing has a leak or is clogged. Post a picture of the pump and suction plumbing at the equipment pad.

How do you add chlorine?

Scott
    I take some pics this afternoon and will check the flapper. Chlorine is dispensed via a floating dispenser. I do believe now that there is a leak on the suction side, but wouldn't that cause water leaks too? Can't find any and the pool holds water just fine and is full. Thanks for your help.

8. Back To Top    #8

Suction side is under fairly high negative pressure so when the pump is on, it will suck air. When the pump is off, it may not leak water.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

Or the air leak is above the water line. That being the case, the likeliest locations is what ever is threaded in front of the pump.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

10. Back To Top    #10

Tex,
    Can you clarify, once the pump gets running is there still air in the basket? It is okay if it takes a couple minutes to blow it out, but it should settle down to just water.
    20,000 Gallon kidney sort of a sand filtered gunite in ground pool w/ hot tub.

11. Back To Top    #11

If the water in the pump doesn't seem to be moving with an expected amount of movement, a clog is still a possibility. If the fitting in front is tight, it's likely a clog of some sort, be it debris or a collapsed line.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC