Filling with garden hose, how long?

yes i would do the five bucket test, and putting two hoses in the pool, may or may not speed things up. sometimes when you turn on two hoses your pressure goes down and you don't get as much water.. take two hoses and do the bucket test to. Then you will know if one hose is faster or two hoses is.
good luck

Not to steal the thread but ive got a few questions.
Is filling your pool practical with a hose? You say your pool is about 10k gallons, what does this cost you to fill or what per gallon? are there water delivery options?

For me, 10,000 gallons is about $35 worth of water. If i truck it in, 10000 gallons is $350, so ten times. When I first filled my pool, I used trucked in water since in the middle of the summer my town water has about 2 ppm iron (I filled my pool in the middle of the summer and didnt want the iron in it).
But my tap water is cheap, YMMV.

Reactions: vernonhart
Yeah the question is relative to how much water flows through your hose. I too have an approx. 10K gallon pool but i have a well and a pump that puts out about 30 gallons per minute. City water supply is around 8 gpm here. I can fill mine in probably around 5-6 hrs.

Then again there is my father in law who has an 88,000 gallon pool and fills it in 3-4 hours using a 10" pipe from an irrigation well.

socalpoolguy said:
Approximately how long or how many gallons will be filled using a garden hose per hour? I'm wondering how long it will take to fill 10k of pool water... Thanks.

If you're not sure about the exact capacity of your pool don't forget to check you water-meter before you start filling.

Thinkly said:
Then again there is my father in law who has an 88,000 gallon pool and fills it in 3-4 hours using a 10" pipe from an irrigation well.
Say, what? I'd hate to be in charge of brushing that thing down every week! :shock:

On the other hand, it'd be fun to say, "Come over and swim next weekend, we've invited... the town." He's certainly giving the YMCA a run for its money.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also, if using your hose, don't forget to call your water municpality prior. Some will offer lower rates by removing the sewer portion of the bill when you fill your pool. They'll come out and take pre and post reading of the meter, adjust your bill accourdingly for the pool water, which will also give you a good idea of the gallon count.

Dominick said:
Also, if using your hose, don't forget to call your water municpality prior. Some will offer lower rates by removing the sewer portion of the bill when you fill your pool. They'll come out and take pre and post reading of the meter, adjust your bill accourdingly for the pool water, which will also give you a good idea of the gallon count.

Eveyone sdhould check on something like this. My town, as others, set the sewer rates on the winter quarter water useage only. Any water used in the spring, summer, and fall is not used for sewer charges.

polyvue said:
Thinkly said:
Say, what? I'd hate to be in charge of brushing that thing down every week! :shock:

On the other hand, it'd be fun to say, "Come over and swim next weekend, we've invited... the town." He's certainly giving the YMCA a run for its money.

Yeah it's one of the few private pools with both a high and low diving board. :p Also one of the few still around that was built in the 1930's. My wife's gpa built it himself and it has been used every summer since. He sets a patio table in the pool for the water column to crash on so it doesn't damage the pool i guess. The water is pulled from the ground by an old Minneapolis Moline tractor running the well pump. Creates a ton of water that is for sure.

Yeah it's one of the few private pools with both a high and low diving board. :p Also one of the few still around that was built in the 1930's. My wife's gpa built it himself and it has been used every summer since. He sets a patio table in the pool for the water column to crash on so it doesn't damage the pool i guess. The water is pulled from the ground by an old Minneapolis Moline tractor running the well pump. Creates a ton of water that is for sure.

I know this is an old thread but if you're still a member & read this post, I'd love to see a picture of this pool! Wonderful that your wife's gpa built it himself and wonderful that is has been in use for so many years.

Oh my god this site always has the best tools!!!

We are having our liner replaced today (HOPEFULLY!!!!!!!) and we have a bday party Saturday, of course everyone responded they could come. I'll be running three hoses non-stop right up to the time breakfast is done Saturday.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.