Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Links don't always show up in a clear blue or unique color

1. Back To Top    #1

Links don't always show up in a clear blue or unique color

As you can see in this post, the link in the words "this map" are barely distinguishable from black. Other links as in this post for the words "this report" are a much lighter blue and easier to see, but later on the words "this EPA report" are that dark blue that looks very much like black.

It is important to be able to easily see links in one's text. Yes, one can move the cursor around to see if an underline pops up, but that's obviously not a great workaround. Can this problem be fixed? It seemed to start happening after the last upgrade.

Richard
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Links don't always show up in a clear blue or unique color

Try now, it should be fixed.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm reposting some of the info in the other post I linked to in order to test the fix. It still looks broken to me. The "this report" is light blue but the "this EPA report" is dark blue. See below...

It started with information in this report where the most reasonable number for the highest No Observed Adverse Effect Level (NOAEL) was 8.8 mg/kg (note that borates are meaured in units of Boron so this is milligrams of Boron per kilogram of body weight).

I then ran into this EPA report that also quotes the 8.8 mg/kg as an NOAEL limit, but they use a factor of 100 Margin of Exposure (MOE) to be extra safe for humans (i.e. assuming that humans might be more sensitive than dogs since no direct toxicity tests were done on humans).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

They look the same to me.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

5. Back To Top    #5

I just checked this in Safari 4.0.5 and the links look OK (i.e. the same light blue) there. So this must be some sort of bug in Firefox 3.6 so I'll take it up with them. Sorry for the distraction. I'm running on Mac OS 10.5.8. However, when I reloaded this page, the links now look OK even in Firefox so perhaps it's intermittent or the problem was temporarily in my cache from before.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    I'm reposting some of the info in the other post I linked to in order to test the fix. It still looks broken to me. The "this report" is light blue but the "this EPA report" is dark blue. See below...

It started with information in this report where the most reasonable number for the highest No Observed Adverse Effect Level (NOAEL) was 8.8 mg/kg (note that borates are meaured in units of Boron so this is milligrams of Boron per kilogram of body weight).

I then ran into this EPA report that also quotes the 8.8 mg/kg as an NOAEL limit, but they use a factor of 100 Margin of Exposure (MOE) to be extra safe for humans (i.e. assuming that humans might be more sensitive than dogs since no direct toxicity tests were done on humans).
    In my version of IE they look like different shades of blue, the second being very hard to distinguish.
    I often manually change my links setting them to bold and/or underline.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm using Firefox 3.0.15. I also see "this report" as a blue and "this EPA report" as almost black. I haven't changed any of the default settings that should affect this.
    24' AG Round (vinyl replaced 0909) - 13500 gal - Sand Dollar Filter (150lb) - Dynamo DYNII-N1-1 1HP - Hayward HP380 Heat Pump - TF-100.
    Central Missouri

Before I speak, I have something important to say.

8. Back To Top    #8

Running IE-7 here at work and they definitely look different. "this EPA report" is almost indistinguishable from the surrounding text.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Some of the links were a very dark blue, almost black. I changed them to be lighter, similar to the ones that were alright to begin with. Apparently the old version was cached for a while in some places, so some people saw the new version right away and some took longer to see it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

So now all the links, and I mean ALL of them, are the lighter blue. So that means thread titles and other links. I certainly didn't need all of those to also change -- it was just text inside posts that really needed to be distinguishable. I guess we can see how things go, but if you have the ability to have the more obvious links outside of posts be darker (they never really needed to be blue) while links inside posts be lighter, that would be ideal. I guess we can just see how people like/dislike the change to the link color outside of posts.

11. Back To Top    #11

Hum, more complex than I thought. Alright, I tried to do it a different way this time.

See how it looks now (possibly requiring a force reload to get the new look).

12. Back To Top    #12

Now they look the same. Thanks, Jason.
    24' AG Round (vinyl replaced 0909) - 13500 gal - Sand Dollar Filter (150lb) - Dynamo DYNII-N1-1 1HP - Hayward HP380 Heat Pump - TF-100.
    Central Missouri

Before I speak, I have something important to say.

13. Back To Top    #13

This seems to have done the trick. Links in text look the same lighter blue while links in thread titles and other areas of the forum are near black. Looks good to me. Thanks for fixing this!