Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pre-Planning the SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Pre-Planning the SWG

Well I finally had to make the call on the N2. Realizing that I still have to buy a winter cover, landscaping, shed patio furniture etc etc etc, unfortunately the SWG ($1,500) is just not in the budget for this year.

Trying to think ahead, I'm wondering though if there are any steps during the construction phase that I can request making the SWG install next year easier/quicker/cheaper.
    Rgds,
    Dominick (Inground Pool Newbie)
    650 sq/ft - 20k gallons
    Free-Form Gunite with Granite Ansylbrite Finish
    40 sq/ft 18' raised spa
    Jandy DE60 filter
    Jandy Aquapure 1400
    Jandy Aqua link PDA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pre-Planning the SWG

A few considerations.

1) Make sure the plumber leaves enough space in the piping to install the cell.
    2) Make sure the electrician leaves a couple extra circuits for the controller and/or timer.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Dominick
    Trying to think ahead, I'm wondering though if there are any steps during the construction phase that I can request making the SWG install next year easier/quicker/cheaper.
    To expand a bit on Bama's essential advice... in planning for a future SWG in the equipment area insist on a generous (4 or 5 ft+) straight run of return pipe AFTER the filter and heater - before it is diverted underground to spa/pool. The pipe must be of sufficient length for the SWG and a flow sensor, usually spaced some distance apart, and not to close to the heater.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

4. Back To Top    #4

In addition to the advice about straight pipe and space away from a heater (Pentair says 3' from a heater, and 12 to 18" of a straight run to get the internal flow meter to function properly), if you plan on having an inline chlorine feeder, that unit should be placed after the SWG.
    Geometric 16X36', 16K gal, shotcrete, exposed aggregate plaster, acrylic coated concrete deck/cantilever coping;
    Pentair equipment suite (EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, Intelliflo VS-3050, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG);
    Heliocol solar panels, Rocky's Roller, Blue Diamond robot

5. Back To Top    #5

Noted
    Great! Thx for the useful info.
    Rgds,
    Dominick (Inground Pool Newbie)
    650 sq/ft - 20k gallons
    Free-Form Gunite with Granite Ansylbrite Finish
    40 sq/ft 18' raised spa
    Jandy DE60 filter
    Jandy Aquapure 1400