polaris 280 backup valve

hayfarmer

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2009
eastern washington state
I was wondering if the water temp has anything to do with the backup valve. Last year when i put the cleaner away for the winter it was working just fine in warm water.
this year i take it out to use, I put it in the water and turn on the pump and it works for a bit, but then the backup valve keeps sticking on. I was wondering if the water temp has anything to do with the valve sticking open, my water temp is only 45.
has anyone had this problem or heard of it.
thanks
jim

My water temp bottomed out in the 50's. The hose seemed to get a bit stiff, but I didn't notice anything going on with the backup valve. But there's a bucketload of fiddly bits inside that thing, I can easily imagine that it would not be happy if it got cold enough.
--paulr

The back up valve is a clockwork mechanism with a turbine driven by the water flowing through it. If it is backing up excessively or the polaris is 'wheelie..ing' or hovering above the bottom chances are there is a crack in it or an 'o' ring has failed. Water temperature has no effect on whether it works or not. New ones are about $45 on certain easily accessed shopping sites or about $80 at your local pool shop.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.