Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer basket?

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer basket?

My skimmer basket turned a brown color. What would cause this? Is it the chlorine?
    16,500 gal Roman end with PebbleFina finish
    4 x 160 intelliflo pump
    Easytouch controls with an IC40 chlorinator
    Sta-rite cartridge filter
    A & A infloor cleaning system
    Pentair 5g LED pool light

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer basket?

I imagine chlorine would lighten it, if anything. Maybe the stuff (pollen, leaves, etc) being skimmed and sitting in the basket is responsible?
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

3. Back To Top    #3

Mine is brown too. It's from the leaves sitting in the basket. It's like brewing tea. The color steeps from the leaves and stains the plastic. It doesn't hurt anything except the looks.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Do you have metals in your water (in the past?)- or do you use sequesterant on a regular basis? I remember a thread from last season where metals caused the basket to turn brown and after the OP did the AA treatment it returned to normal. Do you pour bleach thru the skimmer when the swg is not in use?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Please put me into the brown skimmer basket category, too!

Like bama, mine is a result of leaves (I think it's tannic acid or tannin that imparts that color) It fades to virtually nothing after a few weeks of having chlorine in the pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

This was the post I was recalling:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/stain...2.html#p111804
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

7. Back To Top    #7

I use a skimmer sock so really I don't have leafs or any material that touches the plastic basket. I do use LESLIE'S CLEAR & BRIGHT.
    4 x 160 intelliflo pump

8. Back To Top    #8

What is "Clear & Bright"? I was unable to find a product by that name on their website.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    What is "Clear & Bright"? I was unable to find a product by that name on their website.
    I just looked and saw an "Ultra Bright" and "Clear Perfect" both clarifiers. Maybe they did a name change?

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

10. Back To Top    #10

I think its actually called Bright and Clear, I think. It is a clarifier of some sort. Leslies also sells a product call Fresh 'N Clear which is a non chlorine oxidizer (MPS).
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

11. Back To Top    #11

There is also "Chlor Brite", dichlor from Leslie's. "Bright & Clear" is a clarifier from Leisure Time, some Leslie's carry it.

Many kinds of plastic will yellow over time. After a long enough time some kinds of plastic will turn a dark yellow that many people will call brown. Organic staining is another possibility, though plastic doesn't stain very easily.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

Another poosibility for the brownish stain is iron. Dissolve some vitamin c in water, then soak the basket. If it clears back to white, the stain is metal.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

13. Back To Top    #13

I thought I knew I had something wrong. The product is called "ULTRA BRITE". I also use "FRESH N CLEAR" when it is on sale. I had taken a water sample into LESLIE'S last week and I have no copper or iron.
    4 x 160 intelliflo pump

14. Back To Top    #14

Ultra Brite is a clarifier. It shouldn't be needed, and it shouldn't cause any problems. Fresh N Clear is MPS (potassium monopersulfate), a non-chlorine oxidizer. MPS is handy for indoor pools, but for outdoor pools chlorine is less expensive and does the same thing. Neither would have caused the basket to turn brown.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Fresh N Clear is MPS (potassium monopersulfate), a non-chlorine oxidizer. .
    Seems I've heard that before

Quote Originally Posted by bk406
    Leslies also sells a product call Fresh 'N Clear which is a non chlorine oxidizer (MPS).