Grind Concrete?

Mar 12, 2010
We are mid construction, and would like to use a mosaic tile rather than a "cap tile" to outline our steps and seats... the poured concrete has a rather sharp edge... will the Pebble Tec installer be able to put an adequate radius on the edges? If not, can the edges be ground a touch to soften them??? Tile starting next week!

Grind the edge. It sounds like you have a ninety degree angle , and that is not real conducive to plaster (Pebble) over. They should have radius-ed these areas, and I would definitely take the time to have it done before installation of the Pebble.

It will be about a half inch thick, but you really want to start with a proper base as opposed to having the Pebble try and accommodate poor base conditions. The pebbles will "spread" on the outer radius-ed edges and "compact" on the inner radius' anyway, so a nice, smooth edge to start with gives you the best chance for a good end result.

Newly poured concrete's outer layer is very easy to grind. You can do it with a regular grinder with a diamond disc.
Actually the outer film that you get when you pour against a board should be removed to improve bonding to whatever material you plan to mount.

Fandango said:
We are mid construction, and would like to use a mosaic tile rather than a "cap tile" to outline our steps and seats... the poured concrete has a rather sharp edge... will the Pebble Tec installer be able to put an adequate radius on the edges? If not, can the edges be ground a touch to soften them??? Tile starting next week!
I never tiled a pool or installed pebbletec, but I have tiled a couple showers, and I can tell you this: tile is just like paint. It doesn't hide anything, it just changes the color. If the surface underneath isn't flat, you won't have flat tiles. If you want it curved, do it before you start mixing mortar.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.