Pool Cover Maintenence

kenmar

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 13, 2009
Schnecksville, PA
Hi All,

After a wonderfull first year with our new pool (BBB since day 1.) we closed this fall.
We live in south eastern PA, and have had a lot of snow this year.
Additionally, wehere we live, we have al lot of wind.
At one point, we had 5' of snow on our pool cover (yes, that is 5 feet.)
Now that the snow is begining to melt, I have found some damage.
Specifically, to the springy, hook things that attach the cover to screw bolts embeded in the deck.
Two hooks slipped from their bolts (and of course this is causing the others to bear more weight.)
One screw/bolt was broken/sheared off at the base.
There is still a portion of the pool that I have not been able to inspect (because the snow has not melted completely.)

What could/should I do differently to avoid this kind of damage in the future?

Thanks,

-Ken-

1st, the anchor and spring issue is easily repairable. I would call the installer as it should be covered under warranty.

It sounds like you lowered the water at closing. I never do this with a liner pool and encourage the use of automatic step pumps to keep water off the tile line for tile lined pools. In fact, our area is almost at the point where those that do this can unplug them, another couple weeks in fact. Cover pumps should still be on and functioning!

For the future, There isn't a lot you can do. We had an extraordinary Winter this year, One of those once in 500 years kind. The damage you sustained is minimal compared to what I am seeing already in people's back yards.

Scott

Unfortunately, I was not home when the pool was closed for the first time (I really wanted to be there.)
I believe the water was lowered to just below the skimmers.
My cover is a tight mesh, you can barely see light through it (but water does pass through it slowly.)
I do not have a cover pump, nor was I told I needed one....

They could have adjusted the springs a bit tight. Sometimes covers are put on so tight there is not enough "give" when a load is put on the cover. Water levels just below the skimmer should support it just fine if the cover could sag sufficiently to rest on top of the water. As long as the water is 18 inches or greater below the top of the pool, everything should be fine, if the spring adjustment is correct.

A guy down the street from me insists his cover be tight as a trampoline. Even with 2-3 feet of snow on it, its doesnt sag at all, really. Every spring, he has a couple of anchors pulled and a few springs that are "sprung" too much and have to be replaced.
That being said, 5 feet is a lot of weight, even if the straps were adjusted properly.

the cover springs should only be about 50% compressed when the cover is in place also the water level should not be more than 18 inches from the coping. The ice in the winter time helps support snow weight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.