Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cheap Boric Acid in Cali - YMMV

1. Back To Top    #1

Cheap Boric Acid in Cali - YMMV

In my quest for a cheap source of borates that did not involve gallons of muriatic acid, I came across http://www.galladechem.com/.

They have 50 lbs Granular Tech Grade Boric Acid (p/n B10600), but you have to contact them to get a price.

The responded to my query with $44.50 for the bag ($0.89 /lb).

They also claim to have "free shipping to most of California", but they told me their trucks don't go to Sacramento.

They quoted me $34 for shipping, so this is still a pretty good deal, but if you live within their free shipping area, or close enough to one of their 4 facilities to pick it up, this would be a great deal.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cheap Boric Acid in Cali - YMMV

Thank you!

I just ordered six bags - they deliver my way every couple of weeks!

I'm sick of trying to get Borax in qty from Walmart.

- Jeff
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    8, 4x12 Solar Panels on the roof of the pool-house (~12' up)
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

3. Back To Top    #3

I'll keep them in mind next time. I found a reasonable place on eBay, seller named Dudadiesel. I got 40lbs for $90. Not te best deal, but not bad. Much easier than all that Borax and muriatic acid.
    ~15000 gallon inground, plaster pool
    Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter Tank, Jandy Stealth SHPF 1.5hp pump, Pentair Legend II cleaner
    Leslie's DPD Complete Test Kit, TF Tests FAS-DPD Chlorine Test Kit
    Heliocol solar pool heating (HC-40 x6)

4. Back To Top    #4

Ted...An Eagles fan in Elk Grove? You must be transplanted. I just moved to Sac from Rhode Island (Go Pats).
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Does anyone have any feedback about this company? They have the cheapest price by far, at least for CA residents, and they have a store about 30 miles from me.

Their website says that they do not sell chemicals to individuals, only commercial businesses. Did you have any trouble placing an order?
    ~13500 gallon gunite pool, Pentair Intelliflo 4x160, Pentair 520 SF cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 400 NG heater
    Pentair Easytouch with IC40 SWCG, Hayward Navigator on dedicated suction line

6. Back To Top    #6

I have a pool company, and ordered under that. I have another 400 lbs arriving today. I love this stuff - so simple! Adjust T/A, then dump it in! It dissolves way faster than borax, and doesn't need acid.
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

7. Back To Top    #7

Received a very terse reply to my RFQ:

"Peter,

No sale to private resident and that application.

Regards,"

You'd think they could be at least a little nicer...
    ~13500 gallon gunite pool, Pentair Intelliflo 4x160, Pentair 520 SF cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 400 NG heater
    Pentair Easytouch with IC40 SWCG, Hayward Navigator on dedicated suction line

8. Back To Top    #8

Odd, they're very nice up here. I know there's TFP guys in SD, ping one and see if they'll go in on an order w/you. I'd do it, but Gilroy would be a long-way for you to drive