Skid-proofing a wooden deck

AnnaK

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 15, 2007
Eastern Pennsylvania
Hello everyone,

Our pool deck was built of pine planks two years ago and I can't remember now if it was pressure treated wood or not. We never did paint it (I know, I know . . .). When it gets wet it's very slick. The dogs tend to race around the deck before they fling themselves into the water and I am really worried that somedog will slip and break a leg some day.

I would like some ideas for skid proof surfaces. Appearance isn't really an issue as Martha Stweart doesn't live here :)

There's indoor-outdoor carpeting which I could staple down, like a runner. My husband says it's bad for the wood. Given that it's unpainted wood and already in not-so-good shape in places, how much worse could it be?

Then there's painting it with sand paint. I gather you can buy paint that has sand in it? Or do you mix sand into the paint? Doesn't that come off and get carried into the pool?

Are there other solutions I could consider that aren't terribly expensive?

Thanks for your ideas!

Anna

can't you teach the dogs that it is imperative they not run near the pool?? ;) ;)

The sand is coated with paint and stuck down, so there is no tracking. You can buy floor paint with the granules (don't know for sure they are sand) already added, but I think those are for cement... not sure about putting them on wood.

You could try scrubbing with bleach solution... the slipperiness is probably some growth on the surface of the wood that might come off.

Hahahahah . . . teach the dogs not to run. Very funny! I'm still working on teaching them not to bark. Didn't we have a thread about noisy kids just recently? Notice how carefully I stayed out of that one? :)

I already did spray bleach and scrub. Did a nice job lightening the wood and making it look sort of an aged silver but when it gets wet, it's still very slick.

I wonder if that cement paint would stick to wood?

Anna (who was without a modem for 4 days -- sheer agony!)

Hm. So the cement paint might not stick to the wood and varnish or sealer might not hold the grit.

What about indoor/outdoor carpet? Does that let water through? I always thought it did but I've never looked closely at the stuff.

Anna

Hi Anna:

I understand about the dogs. My two cents worth would be to stay away from indoor outdoor carpet, unless u want your wood completely rotted in under 2 years, the problem is the water never really gets a chance to dry up.

If I was you, I would make the investment of getting a sander, use a rough grit (40) and swipe over the entire deck, removing the old smooth finish and leaving a roughed up new surface. This could then be treated with whatever you wanted.

Rik

Yes, as stated - definitely DON'T do the carpet, the 40 grit sanding may work, however, barefoot people will pick up a good number of slivers from that, especially once the water lifts some of the roughed fiber ends. The roughness will cause early deterioration due to holding moisture longer. If you are going to use a varnish on it (something that actually has some substance to it when dry - I don't see a problem using the grit, however, a stain only product (that basically leaves the wood feeling the same as before applying, will not adhere the grit well.

You might consider some thin strips of anti-slip tape, spaced at whatever distance seemed appropriate (every 2' or so). It is basically a black granular material with an adhesive back that you can stick onto the wood. There was some of this installed at the toe of the wood stairs of my deck when I bought my home. It does not appear to be causing any premature rotting and does make the slippery steps alot safer during wet and icy times.

I did a quick search and the following link shows the type of material I am referring to.

http://www.noskidding.com/antisliptape.html

Just a thought.

No-skid gritty tape! Thanks a bunch for the link! We could tape sections and offset them on the adjacent plank -- endless possibilities.

Thanks also for all your comments on paint, varnish, and the carpeting. I really appreciate you helping me to work this out.

Anna

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.