I have a major leak in my pool

Mar 5, 2010
I have a major leak in my pool 20,000 gallons in ground concrete with vinyl liner 40ft * 19ft. Last night I lost nearly 650 gallons in 15 hours (with bucket test, so this is above evaporation of about 132 gallons) with the pump off. Help !
water level is still in skimmer boxes. This sort of leak has happened before, but intermittently. Other times it is fine, I'm confused..any ideas?

First look around the pool and the area between the pool and the pump to see if there are any suspiciously soggy areas in the yard. Check all your valves and make sure they are all in their normal operating positions. Make sure there are no leaks in the above ground portions of the plumbing when the pump is on. Did you lose water overnight, dusk to dawn when evaporation should be minimal? Are you in your swim season? If so get in and check the liner for small tears or leaks at the seams and around the skimmers, returns, and any other openings in the liner. You can squirt a little red food coloring around the edges of the skimmer and returns and see if the color gets sucked out of the pool or if it just dissipates. That is the extent of my leak detection skills, but it gives you a place to start. Some of the experts will be along to give more advice. Good luck!

Thanks,
It's mid summer here. Water temp is 28c/83F with a solar pool cover.
I think I have 2 problems or 1 that varies a lot. I have been constantly losing a bit of water over and above evaporation, but sometimes I lose a heap of water overnight as in this case. In this case, I had the pool pump off and lost the water overnight. I have been getting air in the filter pump lately to the extent that the pump may run for a minute or 2 before the water fills up the reservoir and even then there are still air pockets in the top (it used to get rid of the air pockets once it got going, but not lately). I have blocked off the 4 inlets to the pool and the skimmer boxes. I did a dye test on each of the inlets in turn and there is a definite "draw in" of the food colouring. Next problem is how to locate the place of the leak. Are there places that can leak detect with a camera like they do for sewers? or do I have to dig up the pipes?

Attachments

• Pool Leak.JPG
    Pool Leak.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 200
If you are losing it with the system off, its likely a gasket, a hole in the liner, or if it's a concrete pool, where the skimmer mouth or bottom drain meets the gunite. Acquire some leak detecting dye at a pool store. . A drop near a suspect spot will easily be seen departing.

With liners, check the edges, seams and where there are gaskets. With concrete, the skimmers where they meet the gunite and drain pot rims and if you have them, hydrostatic valves. Those gaskets sometimes deteriorate or get some grit in them.

I take it the leak is is the same volume, pump on or off.

Scott

Thanks, I think the leak was more with the pump on. I'll check around the skimmer box mouth again with the food colouring, but last time this happened it went well below the skimmer boxes and still lost water. I have turned all the valves off and blocked the inlets. the water level is just on the edge(but not coming into) the skimmer boxes. It is 6pm here so I will check the level in the morning. It is a concrete pool with Vinyl liner and steps so there are quite a few seams. I have also discovered a new drip in the drain to waste pipe (1 drop every 4 secs). I have the pool filter on "Close" so I don't know why this is happening but it is of no concern to me at the moment given my larger problem. While it's off I'll also clean the rubber seal around the lid on the pump.

Now 26 hrs later. The pool level is 8mm lower which is about right for evaporation at this time of year. the bucket test shows roughly 6mm loss, so it's close enough (hard to measure at night!). The level in the skimmer baskets is the same so I haven't lost any water between the pump and the skimmer. I have now opened the valves and set the filter from "closed" to "filter" and will see if I lose any water from the skimmer's overnight. I guess now I have to call in the leak detectors ?? anything else I can do myself before shelling out the decent $$ to locate the leak? Has anyone used the hydrogen gas leak detection with success? all suggestions welcome

My plumber that usually works in the house had offered to me to run his camera down there and tell where the leak was located. I know my main drain has a leak because when I connect it up with the pipe from the skimmer, I constantly have to bleed air out of my pump and filter, but when I just have the skimmer connected, I dont get any air. But its odd because my pool never seems to lose any water from it. I think it just sucks air. You could possibly try hooking one thing up at a time and see if you can figure out which one is the cause. Depending on your setup, it could be tedious, though. But you can also try calling a plumber with a camera, or a pool building company. They should be able to find the leak for you.

The use of hydrogen is not suggested. Helium, nitrogen, CO2, or just air are much safer if you are trying to find a leak in the plumbing using an Anderson sounding system. The microphone on them is very sensitive so you can hear the gas hissing when you're over the leaky pipe.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.