Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How is Polaris 360 different from Polaris 380?

1. Back To Top    #1

How is Polaris 360 different from Polaris 380?

Hi,

Are there any internal differences between a Polaris 360 and 380? The reason I'm asking is that I have Polaris 380 (booster pump powered) and I wouldn't mind getting rid of the booster pump (less energy usage, less complexity, etc.). This winter I have installed a new Hayward S270T2 sand filter along with a Jandy SHPF1.5 pool pump and now I have more pressure from the return lines than ever before. The main return line is a 1.5" line, while the sweep line is a 1" line.

Thank you in advance,

Vas
    20,000 gallons
    Intellichlor IC 40
    In Ground
    Pebble Tec
    No idea on the size of the pump or flow rate

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How is Polaris 360 different from Polaris 380?

They are basically the same inside except for the fittings for the different hose sizes. If your pump has enough pressure I would go with the 360. Don't have to pay to run pump and worry about upkeep on booster pump.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

the hole sizes inside the cleaner are bigger for the 360 to allow high flow, then the small holes inside the 380 for high pressure

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you both for your answers. I have checked with the local Leslie's Pool Supply store this afternoon and have been told internally they are the same, the only difference being a mast and hose (bigger diameter).
    20,000 gallons
    Intellichlor IC 40
    In Ground
    Pebble Tec

5. Back To Top    #5

Nice to see the guy from Leslie's reads our forum too! heh heh

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

6. Back To Top    #6

Just to follow up, the Polaris 360 has been installed and after reading the manual properly and noticing "hold cleaner below water level" to measure RPM, I realized I'm only getting 18 RPM. This would explain why the sweep tail is a little "sluggish" and is mostly just being dragged behind. On to the next phase of my experiment - plug one of the returns to see what happens.

Vas
    20,000 gallons
    Intellichlor IC 40
    In Ground
    Pebble Tec

7. Back To Top    #7

It's now been two weeks with the Polaris 360 running at around 18-20 RPM, and I'm quite satisfied with its performance. There's been two major storms, worms in the pool, and it has managed to pick it all up with anyone having to clean the pool. I guess around 28 RPM would be nice, but it seems to work as it is.

Vas
    20,000 gallons
    Intellichlor IC 40
    In Ground
    Pebble Tec

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by MrVas
    It's now been two weeks with the Polaris 360 running at around 18-20 RPM, and I'm quite satisfied with its performance. There's been two major storms, worms in the pool, and it has managed to pick it all up with anyone having to clean the pool. I guess around 28 RPM would be nice, but it seems to work as it is.

Vas
    Hello and how are you? I ended up buying a 380 (used on craigislist for $50) without the booster pump. Turns out I need the 360 for my pool setup. Since the internals are the same. What parts did you buy to make it fit and use for the skimmer suction. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you both for your answers. I have checked with the local Leslie's Pool Supply store this afternoon and have been told internally they are the same, the only difference being a mast and hose (bigger diameter).
    Did they have the mast and hose with bigger diameter in stock? Do you have the part number by anychance? Thanks.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by mge_1
    Hello and how are you? I ended up buying a 380 (used on craigislist for $50) without the booster pump. Turns out I need the 360 for my pool setup. Since the internals are the same. What parts did you buy to make it fit and use for the skimmer suction. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    Bump. I have the exact same problem. Customer purchased a 380 for their pool instead of a 360 and would like to convert it to run on return line pressure.
    Inground Concrete Pool With Fiberglass Walls (20,000 Gallons), Hayward .75 Super Pump, Hayward S200 Sand Filter, Pentair IntelliChlor IC40

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by mge_1

Vas
    Did you ever get the 380 to work? Curious what happened.

Thanks!