Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: is reccomended levels or CSI more important

1. Back To Top    #1

is reccomended levels or CSI more important

I currently have a high TA reading but balanced CSI. When I play with the calclator and am in the process of getting my TA in check I am in the corrosive range.

FC- 4
    PH- 7.5
    TA- 230
    CH-310
    Salt- not yet- bleach until the curing is done
    Borates- 40

What should my goal be. Based on the current readings Im balanced, and if I try to lower my TA I need to lower my PH which puts me in the corrosion range until my TA is lowered.

I am concerned as its a newly plastered pool- pebble and I find it bothersome that Ill be in the corrosion range.

THanks in advance!
    18,900 Stonescapes Tahoe Blue xtra black, 8 jet Spa, Pentair inteliflo VS , Pentair FNS 60 DE, Inteliclor40, Pentair 400,000 Mastertemp heater, 3 spillovers powered by a Pentair 1 HP whisperflo pump, The pool Cleaner, 2 Intellibright color changing lights and 400 sq ft. of Heliocol roof mounted solar.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: is reccomended levels or CSI more important

Did you mean a TA of 200 ppm? What is your Calcium Hardness (CH) level?

You can just add acid as needed to keep the pH in proper range. Over time, the TA will drop as a result of adding acid. You don't have to accelerate the lowering of your TA unless you find that the pH is rising faster than you are able to keep up with it by lowering it with acid.

Also, you should probably follow the advice of your pool builder / replasterer since you don't want to void any warranty they may have. You can also read about different plaster start-up procedures here.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

I sure hope your TA is not 2!

If you are in the first 30 days after new plaster was applied, you should not be raising TA or CH, regardless of what CSI is. Even after the first 30 days you want CSI to be somewhat negative.

Please tell us how long ago the plaster was applied, what kind of finish you have, and what your TA and CH levels are.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Opppps! Note the edited change in levels above. Also- no borates yet. I copied that out of the pool cal with my intention to add shortly.
    18,900 Stonescapes Tahoe Blue xtra black, 8 jet Spa, Pentair inteliflo VS , Pentair FNS 60 DE, Inteliclor40, Pentair 400,000 Mastertemp heater, 3 spillovers powered by a Pentair 1 HP whisperflo pump, The pool Cleaner, 2 Intellibright color changing lights and 400 sq ft. of Heliocol roof mounted solar.

5. Back To Top    #5

Based on the revised numbers you are not anywhere near the "corrosion range", if anything you could potentially have problems with scaling if you let the PH go up too much. As long as you keep the PH under control (between 7.2 and 7.8) you will be fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School