Foam on my pool

Jul 24, 2007
Massachusetts
I hope someone out there can help with this problem. I am at my wits end already.

When we opened our pool, we discovered that the cover must have had holes in it. It was a nice pond mud color. There was some debris on the bottom (leaves and pine straw).

We have a 24' round above ground pool.

We did the usual shocking and filtering. Got the water to a pond scum green....algae...our friend :( was very visible.

Checked the daylights out of the pool added algecide and scrubbed the bottom and walls. Vacuumed and did many D.E. changes.

The pool water is a very light green now, and cloudy....I can see the bottom, but I have this foam floating on the top of the pool.

When I hand skim it, the foam has a yellow hue to it. Almost like the color of pollen. I have a lot of trees in close proximity to the pool, but the pollen levels haven't been that high here.

When I checked the water with the pool stick (I use Aquachek) all the levels are low. PH: below 6.2, Free Chlorine: 0.5, Total Alkalinity: 0 and Stabalizer:0

The water seems to be improving in color the more we filter, but what is up with the foam? I have owned this pool for 9 swimming seasons, never had this problem.

The water was new last year due to a pool liner replacement.
Can anyone help?
Thanks,
Barb

What kind of algaecide did you use? Most will produce foam.

If you use an algaecide, it is generally recommended to only use poly.

Ditch the dip sticks and get a drop based test kit. The 6 way HTH kit at Walmart for $15 or so is better than nothing, and the TF test kit you can get from Dave here is top of the line.

But you really need some accurate numbers, quick. If you PH is really that low, you need to increase it or it could damage your liner.

Also please list what chemicals you are using.

A PH of 6.2 is very bad. If true, you need to bring that up right away. Having an alkalinity of zero is also a serious and related problem. If your test strips got damp before use or are expired they could be totally wrong, but assuming they are working as test strips normally do they can be a bit imprecise but are good enough to tell that you need to do something about the PH and alkalinity right away.

I would get some baking soda and add two pounds for each 10,000 gallons of water right away. Wait several hours and retest and repeat till the PH and alkalinity numbers are a little more reasonable. Once the alkalinity is at least 30 or 40, if the PH is still below 7.0 bring it up to 7.0 to 7.2 using borax, PH Up, or soda ash. Then continue bringing the alkalinity up with baking soda, which will probably bring the PH up to a good level as well.

You have other issues that need work as well, stabilizer needs to come up, and there is the algae to deal with, but the PH problem is critical. While you are working on that it would be a good idea to get a real test kit and post your full set of numbers.

foam on my pool

Thank you to everyone who responded so quickly.
As for chemicals in the pool.
The algecide is Pool Mate
The shock is Dry Tec.
I have put the two inch chlorine tabs which are the faster acting and I have the 3 inch tabs in the floater. Nothing else has been added.

The Aquachek strips were just purchased a week ago and are left in the house. I know they aren't the best thing to use now....little late huh?
As soon as I test the water with a good tester, I will repost numbers for you.

Since adding more chlorine this morning the foam has disappeared.
I am off to Wally World to get baking soda and a test kit from the pool place.
Thank you all for such wonderful help. I will be back soon!
Barb W

Re: foam on my pool

Barbw521 said:
Thank you to everyone who responded so quickly.

You're welcome :)

as for chemicals in the pool.
The algecide is Pool Mate
The shock is Dry Tec.
I have put the two inch chlorine tabs which are the faster acting and I have the 3 inch tabs in the floater. Nothing else has been added.

Barb, can you list the ingredients off the label for each product? Or perhaps someone like waterbear will know what these are, specifically.

The Aquachek strips were just purchased a week ago and are left in the house. I know they aren't the best thing to use now....little late huh?
As soon as I test the water with a good tester, I will repost numbers for you.

That's the ideal way, get a good test kit, learn to use it so you know you have numbers you can trust.

Since adding more chlorine this morning the foam has disappeared.
I am off to Wally World to get baking soda and a test kit from the pool place.
Thank you all for such wonderful help. I will be back soon!
Barb W

Listen to Jason, and if the PH is really that low, get it up ASAP :)

Hi Folks,
Well after two grueling days of work, my pool is GORGEOUS.

I put in the baking soda, ph rise and a huge amount of bleach. Got the Ph up to 7.2, Alkaline up to 7.6 and the free chlorine up to 2.0

The only test kit the pool place had was Guardex 4-in-1 Delux OTO.

You almost have to be a scientist to figure this out, but by the looks of my pool, all is well.

We also got in the pool yesterday and scrubbed the walls, vacuumed the algae. Folks, I never would have believed my pool could be clear today if I didn't see it with my own eyes.

I just have one other question. I bought borax......when do I add it, and how much? I have a 13,500 gallon pool.

You all have been a gift from God to me. I thank everyone who has posted,and for your wisdom....I thank the Lord!

I am going to take a sample to the pool place today just to make sure everything is in check.

Many blessings to you all,
Barb W
:-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Barb, Borax isn't a necessary addition. At least not immediately.

Of BBB, I think most here are mainly using Bleach, and the others sparingly, as needed, if at all.

I encourage you to wait on the Borax. Yes your pool is clear now, and good job. Now you need to learn YOUR pools individual characteristics, ie what will it take to keep it sparkling clear and always ahead of any algae problems. I assume you have already, but read all the stickies, if they lead to questions do a search, if your questions aren't answered, ask them :)

Once you get that under your belt, read up on borax and if you want to add it, you'll be well prepared to do so :)

Best of luck.

The Mermaid Queen said:
Barb, the borax is used to raise your pH without also raising the TA (alk).

It can also be used as to prevent algae, with the PH rise offset by adding acid immediately.

It wasn't clear which use she was wanting it for, or if she possibly thought since it was part of BBB it was something she needed right away.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.