North Dallas, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Any tips around when to turn the solar heating on? Current pool temp is 50 Air is getting to 62-65 may even see 70 next week.

Is it best to hold until we get to the 80's before charging the system and setting the sun to work?

Or should I just start now and get the warming process underway?

Thanks

When do you expect to start swimming? I wouldn't be in a huge hurry until a week or so before air temps hit ~80. IMO it's just too cold to swim much before that and your chemical use will be higher in warmer water.

We live in the same area. My pool temp was 56 degrees F. today, uncovered. Your solar system is roof-top panels? Probably have to wait a month before the sun's angle and air temperature will enable you to raise the pool temperature to 80 degrees. Of course, if you can withstand (or more perversely, enjoy) water temperatures in the 60s -- go for it! If you do, don't neglect the use of a solar cover, that'll help immensely during the cold nights we'll continue to have through April.

btw - I like your signature's last sentence.... a salesman's dream.

Mostly I think it depends on if you have a solar cover or not and the night time temps.
It does not cost too much more to run, so why not if you have a cover?

Currently, with daytime temps in the high 60s, low 70s and nighttime temps in the 40s, I can heat the pool to about 68 during the day, but I loose it all at night because I don't have a cover. So I must wait until nighttime temps are in the 60s.

There is a great site here
http://solardat.uoregon.edu/SunChartProgram.html
for printing solar charts. With these charts and some experimentation, you will be able to know the best times to run your pump if you don't have a controller.

Northern California doesn't really get overnight lows in the 60s until July, and even then, not consistently. Humidity levels are low, too... 15-30% instead of 40-80%+ in Florida. Makes a solar pool cover or automatic cover almost essential to retain the heat gain from the day.

I think the SF Bay Area requires them, too; the day-time temps don't approach those of Sacramento at least eight months out of the year.

Thanks very much everyone - Get cover (spend :)) wait 3 weeks - enjoy. The Kids are eager to swim as we have not used the pool at all just finished it in December.

The new pool brought back all that chemistry and now I will be starting to plot the movement of the celestial bodies :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.