Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Turn the Solar heater on

1. Back To Top    #1

Turn the Solar heater on

Any tips around when to turn the solar heating on? Current pool temp is 50 Air is getting to 62-65 may even see 70 next week.

Is it best to hold until we get to the 80's before charging the system and setting the sun to work?

Or should I just start now and get the warming process underway?

Thanks
    14,500 Gallon, Pebble Sheen, Spa – Jandy inteliflow, Jandy filter, Jandy Heater (Gas) Haywood Color logic 4.5 x 3 - Novice but spending freely

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Turn the Solar heater on

When do you expect to start swimming? I wouldn't be in a huge hurry until a week or so before air temps hit ~80. IMO it's just too cold to swim much before that and your chemical use will be higher in warmer water.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

We live in the same area. My pool temp was 56 degrees F. today, uncovered. Your solar system is roof-top panels? Probably have to wait a month before the sun's angle and air temperature will enable you to raise the pool temperature to 80 degrees. Of course, if you can withstand (or more perversely, enjoy) water temperatures in the 60s -- go for it! If you do, don't neglect the use of a solar cover, that'll help immensely during the cold nights we'll continue to have through April.

btw - I like your signature's last sentence.... a salesman's dream.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

4. Back To Top    #4

Mostly I think it depends on if you have a solar cover or not and the night time temps.
    It does not cost too much more to run, so why not if you have a cover?

Currently, with daytime temps in the high 60s, low 70s and nighttime temps in the 40s, I can heat the pool to about 68 during the day, but I loose it all at night because I don't have a cover. So I must wait until nighttime temps are in the 60s.

There is a great site here
    http://solardat.uoregon.edu/SunChartProgram.html
    for printing solar charts. With these charts and some experimentation, you will be able to know the best times to run your pump if you don't have a controller.
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Northern California doesn't really get overnight lows in the 60s until July, and even then, not consistently. Humidity levels are low, too... 15-30% instead of 40-80%+ in Florida. Makes a solar pool cover or automatic cover almost essential to retain the heat gain from the day.

I think the SF Bay Area requires them, too; the day-time temps don't approach those of Sacramento at least eight months out of the year.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks very much everyone - Get cover (spend ) wait 3 weeks - enjoy. The Kids are eager to swim as we have not used the pool at all just finished it in December.

The new pool brought back all that chemistry and now I will be starting to plot the movement of the celestial bodies
    14,500 Gallon, Pebble Sheen, Spa – Jandy inteliflow, Jandy filter, Jandy Heater (Gas) Haywood Color logic 4.5 x 3 - Novice but spending freely