Pool upgrades are they worth it

If the right size control system for you is the EZ4, then the Pentair part number that comes with and IC20 (yes, the transformer is in the cabinet) is 520542. It also comes with 2 valve actuators.

The spa side controller is the iS4, PN 520092. It has a 100' control cable that goes to the EZ4 cabinet.

The indoor wireless wall mounted controller is 520546.
The wired indoor unit is 520548.
Neither is required but having one is very convenient so you don't have to go to the main panel to turn on the spa, lights, change programming, etc...

The only benefit I know of for ordering an over sized cell is that may take some strain off the controller's electronics. Since these are on the cell with Intellichlor, when the cell does finally reach it's end of life due to water friction, temperature changes and chemistry, the electronics will be swapped except for the transformer and a fairly benign interface board so the EZ's controller can talk to the Intellichlor and to transfer power from the transformer.

Scott

First of all, you guys are great thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions!

Scott, If I order part number 520538 can I simply just add 520554 or 520555 at another time? I know this is a stupid question (don't stone the new guy), do you just simply add the salt to the pool? I don't see any type of container so I am just making that assumption.

frustratedpoolmom, thank you for the comments!

If you ordered the EZ4/8 system w/o the transformer and decided later you want to add an IC20/40/60, you have to order the stand alone system and tie a control cable to the EZ controller. If you want to go from the EZ4 to EZ8, you would have to buy a new motherboard and relays. If you did both, you'd be looking at a bill that would be in excess of a $2000 hit.

IMHO, unless you will want to control additional lighting, or decorative fountains, etc... EZ4 with the integrated IC20 for pool/spa shared equipment with the remotes I suggested is going make you a very happy camper going forward.

Imagine coming home from work, going to the indoor controller, hit the spa button and heat, go change, jump in. ahhh

Yes, the salt goes in the pool.

JasonLion said:
AquaPearl appears to be a local branding of 3M Colorquartz, a well know high quality producer. KrystalKrete says they are also using colored quartz, but don't mention their supplier, so I am assuming it is an off brand.

3M dropped Colorquartz at the end of last year and it is no longer available (unless somebody is trying to blow off old inventory!). If 3M couldn't make a go of it, I don't think I'd feel real comfortable with an off brand either.

dschlic1 said:
You might look into the differences in pool finish warranties. When I built my pool, PebbleTech was offering a "lifetime" warranty on the pool finish.

I'd look into that a little farther. I'm pretty familiar with PebbleTec and they have never offered that in this area, to the best of my knowledge. Even the plasterer's only offer 5 or 10 year bonding warranties.

"Lifetime" on the rocks maybe :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My pool guy doesn't do that brand it's Aqua Pearl or KrstalKrette.... Anyway I made an offer on the upgrade, I'll see if he bites, otherwise I'm going with KrstalKrette. I did get rid of the N2 and the Ozone and switched to salt and the EZ8 + Remote.

A few updates

IMG_1019.jpg

IMG_1018.jpg

IMG_1017.jpg

IMG_1014.jpg

It all looks good to me except for that teeny-weeny filter! I'd see if I could get something bigger (I like the Clean & Clear Plus 420 SF Cartridge Filters), and I am wondering why such a big pump?

Looking good, you will be swimming soon :goodjob: Have you pre planned for a summer kitchen, though it may be too late as you have pavers etc already installed???? :) :cheers: :cheers:

reefkeep said:
Bruce, the pump may be because of the 8 jets in the spa?

Still a little "heavy", unless you have some real "go fast" jets that take large amounts of water. I just ask since that is not the norm, and if it is your only pump it is going to be expensive to run.

2 HP up rated, or 1 1/2 HP full rated depending on how you think about things, is reasonable when it is running the spa, especially with 8 jets. Definitely more than you need for running the pool when the spa is off.

If you have popup cleaning heads you do tend to need a comparatively large pump. I hadn't seen you mention those before.

Having either a two speed pump, or a small pump for when you are circulating water, and not running either the spa or the cleaning system, would save you money. How much of an advantage it would be depends on the cost of electricity in your area. The cleaning system means you can't use the lower flow rate much of the time, so the advantage is not as clear cut as it would be without the cleaning system.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.