Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG Cold Water

1. Back To Top    #1

Macon Ga

SWG Cold Water

I know that the SWG will quit generating at below 50 F. We had a few nice days lately and the water temp got to about 52 or so and it did not seem like the SWG produced much clorine even as I turned the percentage up. My question is will the SWG not produce the same amount as if the water was 80 or so? All of the lights are correct and the salt and every other reading is correct with the water and the SWG. Thanks
    18X38 Grecian 26000 gallon In Ground Vinyl. Goldline AuqaRite SWG with a 1.5 HP Pentair Pump. Triton 2 Sand Filter Two main drains with 4 main returns with 2 more returns on the swimout and two skimmers. Polaris 380

2. Back To Top    #2

South Central NJ

Re: SWG Cold Water

That is correct. When the temp goes up another 5-10 degrees from where you are now, more chlorine will be produced. Cold water temp require more energy to work. The cell may not permit it. Fortunately, you don't need a lot with colder water.

Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Central Massachusetts

Couple things.
    1) You have 26,000 gallons of water. It would take a a day or so running at full output, IMO, to get enough FC residual to see it come up.

2) I'm not sure about the brand of SWCG you have, but that 52 degrees thats stated in the manual is under OPTIMAL conditions in a lab. My Pentair has the same 52 degree spec. But, in reality, it wont really start to really work until the water hits about 60 degrees. I talked to Pentair and a service rep told me that 60 was really the temp where they see them start to work on a consistent basis. I'd assume the brand you have is probably similar.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Just for consideration, Pool Pilot units continue to operate under cold water conditions without shutting down. The Automatic Temperature Compensation feature will automatically adjust the Percentage output setting higher or lower, based on water temperature changes.
    At 55 degrees or colder, it will drop down to 1% output, but can be overridden with the BOOST mode.

But as already mentioned, during cold water conditions, there is little need for high chlorine residuals, but there is still a need to have some chlorine in the pool.
    Sean Assam -
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators

5. Back To Top    #5
    Sacramento, California USA

Quote Originally Posted by kenmccall
    I know that the SWG will quit generating at below 50 F.
    Ditto the comments above. I have the same brand (Goldline Aqua Cell) and have noticed that it operates minimally at 50 degrees F., contributing very little to Free Chlorine until the water temperature rises to about 55-57 degrees; at this point, I no longer need to supplement its efforts with liquid chlorine. Note that I have not tried experimenting with the % output -- I imagine that if it mattered I could turn up the output from 25/30% to a higher number to achieve more chlorine output.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009