Chlorine level before going away

Jul 2, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
My wife and I are going to Murmansk, Russia for 3 weeks. From Cali to the Arctic Circle :party: While there, for recreation we will be going to a sauna on a frozen lake: sauna for 10 minutes, then plunge into the frozen lake :hammer: I am sure lots of vodka will be necessary :mrgreen: I digress.

Regarding my pool, water temp right now about 55, air temps 50-60 during the day, with occasional rain. I would imagine a few 70s will sneak in while we are gone, and rainy season is coming to an end. To make sure we come home to a sparkling clear pool, I was going to do shock the pool using mustard algae level pool school recommends, 19 FC. Regular FC level is 2-6. However, I am not sure the 19 FC will be sufficient for 3 weeks, especially with warm spells while I am gone.

Also, should I use liquid bleach to shock or get the powdered shock bags? My CYA is only 30ppm, so I can afford the extra CYA they produce.

Any recommendations?

I'd be happy to send you a used tablet floater and half a bucket of chlorine pucks, but the shipping is probably more than just buying what you need new.

Get a floater and some stabilized tablets, the CYA won't hurt. Or hire a pool service to come check chlorine and vacuum once a week. Or hire a neighbor kid to do the same - and mow your lawn, too. Oh wait, I forgot.... modern teens don't do stuff like that.

I would do exactly what Richard said and get a floater from Wal-Mart and put 3 or 4 trichlor pucks in it. My Wal-Mart even sells trichlor pucks as singles and I would imagine that other places might too. This way, you don't have to buy a bucket full. The very small addition of CYA that would be dissolved in your pool from using this method would be negligible, especially since your CYA is 30 ppm.

Add enough bleach to bring your FC up to what is optimum for your pool and then toss the floater in.

Have a great trip!!

Three weeks is a long time. I would hire a service. Check Craigs List and interview a few.

I don't think the floater is a solution. If it is windless at night, it won't move. The chlorine will drift to the bottom an sit until the pump comes on. 3" pucks won't last long enough either.

Scott

Probably a lot will depend on the temperature of the water. Last year the water temperature went from 55 to about 75 during the month of March. In 2008, my logs show a more modest increase for this same period -- from 55 to less than 65 degrees Farenheit. Personally I wouldn't be overly concerned about a 3 week absence but your pool may be subject to more environmental debris than mine. I would probably crank up the FC to very high shock level (20 ppm) and leave it go. Now, I think you have enough varying opinions to figure out the best course of action! :lol:

polyvue said:
Probably a lot will depend on the temperature of the water. Last year the water temperature went from 55 to about 75 during the month of March. In 2008, my logs show a more modest increase for this same period -- from 55 to less than 65 degrees Farenheit. Personally I wouldn't be overly concerned about a 3 week absence but your pool may be subject to more environmental debris than mine. I would probably crank up the FC to very high shock level (20 ppm) and leave it go. Now, I think you have enough varying opinions to figure out the best course of action! :lol:

I am thinking that may be the way. I only loose 2-3 FC when the temp is 100 and full summer sun, and assuming loss of 1 FC/day, I should be good. Just in case, I'll ask someone to stop by and throw a gallon of 12.5% bleach in after week 2.

Only vegetation around pool is 2 palm trees, a pools best friends when it comes to minimizing debris, in my opinion. Plus I have the pump and Letro Legend II cleaner going 4 hrs/day.

If the pump will be on a timer, the floater should do the trick but I would absolutely have someone come and check on things and throw in a jug of bleach for good measure. :wink:

I assume you don't cover it?

(I have gone on 11 day trips, shocked the pool, covered with the solar blanket and left the pump on and come home to a FC residual above my "min" rec level) so three weeks with pump running and a floater and you should be fine, esp since your CYA is that low to start.)

Have a good time!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
tedinelkgrove said:
frustratedpoolmom said:
I assume you don't cover it?

Correct, I never use a cover. I have a solar cover that came with the pool when I bought the house. Perhaps this is a perfect time to roll it out. If so, I'll shock (FC 20) and put cover on. I assume I just run pump and cleaner as normal with the cover on?

Yes you can run the pump as normal - cleaner, not sure about that (I don't have one).

Covering it, depending on the color, helps protect the FC level from UV destruction (also helps prevent evaporation). Depends on what kind of condition the cover is in (since you haven't used it...) Also some people say not to use a floater under a solar blanket. I've never done that, maybe someone who has can chime in....not sure if it would make a difference.

You don't have to cover - using a floater and the pump on a timer and having someone check on things and add a jug of bleach should do the trick just fine. A cover will just help the FC last longer is all.

polyvue said:
99 or I-5?

I have my principles.

I am about midway between 99 and I-5 south of Elk Grove Blvd. I would never subject myself to 99 if at all necessary. Thank you, but I would not impose. I'll get a relative to come down and throw a jug of bleach in.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I'll let you know how it turns out in 3 weeks. Glad to see so many responses. I thought this forum would be dormant this time of year.

PaulR said:
My Polaris runs fine under the solar cover. Actually I like it that way, the tail is less prone to randomly spray the neighbor's yard. --paulr
tedinelkgrove said:
Good point. I am waiting for a knock on the door with a wet neighbor staring back at me. :mrgreen:
Ditto and ditto. :cry:

Ted -

If you get into a bind, shoot me a PM before you leave. I-5 Elk Grove is just a quik shot from where I work downtown.

- Greg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.