New TF-100 Owner

Apr 30, 2009
Huntsville,TX
Just received my TF-100 in the mail yesterday and tested it out today. My numbers are as follows:

FC: 5
CC: 0
TC: 5
pH: 7.8
TA: 110
CH: 320
CYA: 38
Temp: 52

I'm not sure if I'm doing the CYA test correctly. They say add the solution until you can no longer see the black dot at the bottom of the tube. What I "see" is the water getting gray the more solution I add. The number I posted is when I THINK it disappeared from view. Anyone have any tips on what exactly I should be looking for, or how best to conduct the test that maybe the directions don't include? I will be adding some salt tomorrow, as well as some acid. If I read the pool school correctly, I should drop the pH to 7 or so, and then turn on the falls to aerate the pH back up, and lowering the TA.

As a side note, I have seen first hand how my test differs drastically from the nearby pool supply store. There test indicates my Ch to be at 180. They first recommended raising that until they asked me how old my pool was. When I told them 6 months, they said that I didn't need to do that b/c it was still curing. Didn't make sense to me...

Those look like good numbers to me! Just for kicks I plugged them into the pool calculator and the CSI is good. It says you could add some acid to make things perfect.

When I test CYA (and I have to dilute 50/50 first) I just keep dribbling until I can't tell if I see the dot or if it's just gray-looking. With my numbers, what's 10 points? :lol:

Here are some pictures of what the CYA test should look like when you can't see the dot any more. The dot should be completely gone, even after a moment for your eyes to adjust. All you should see is a vague ring around the outside of the white outer circle at the bottom of the tube.

You should read the CYA level to the nearest marking. So your reading of 38 is called 40, even if it was actually a little bit above the 40 mark.

I remember how excited I was when I first got my kit. Congrats on the new toy. :)

tjt040774 said:
There test indicates my Ch to be at 180. They first recommended raising that until they asked me how old my pool was. When I told them 6 months, they said that I didn't need to do that b/c it was still curing. Didn't make sense to me...
It actually does make sense. It takes new plaster a long time to cure and during that time it leaches Calcium into the pool water. This is a perfectly normal process.

I think the CYA test is one of the ones that is a "hard to tell" test. The water will look a little gray in the tube (i think caused by the black dot). There is a post on here with pictures of what the test looks like when done correctly. I cant find the post but I am sure someone will be able to give the link right away for you to compare your results with. At times I have had to ask the wife her opinion about whether I can see the dot or not. I am usually close enough for her liking !

See they beat me to my post !!!

I really can't say enough about the value of these forums. Many thanks to the quick replies. I guess I was doing the test correctly after all. As far as the CH numbers...does the same still apply to my pebble finish (as far as the leaching)?

The ideal water chemistry for both plaster and pebble finishes is the same. There is some, not a great deal but some, exposed plaster between the pebbles. That plaster between the pebbles requires the same treatment as if the entire surface was plaster.

Regarding the CYA test. You can pour the liquid back into the dropper bottle and repeat the test. I usually do it two or three (or four) times to make sure that I get the same number consistently. It is also a good way to get some extra practice at doing the test without using up your reagents.

Just adding to all the above execllent advice....

On the TA, 110 is not bad at all and since the PH will continue to drift up as the plaster cures, the acid additions to lower the PH will slowly lower the TA as well. So no need to worry about it, it will come down on it's own.

Good job :goodjob:

Another CYA tip. :-D

I have found that it is easiest to do my CYA reading outside, on a sunny day, whilst sitting in a shady spot. You get lots of indirect light to use that way and that is what you want, light entering the test tube from the side rather than from overhead.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mine came today!

The only thing I've been uncertain about is the Chlorine. I have to keep it high because of all the CYA left in the pool until I can drain it.

Anyway, I came up with 24.5. Not too far off what it should have been, based on 1:5 dilution and trying to match colors. I was expecting 21 or 22 since I added Chlorine yesterday.

I have found the CYA test is the hardest one to do out of all the test in the TF100. So it just takes practice. A few times I will take a water sample to my local pool store to see what they say and listen to their advice but not buy anything. Whenever they ask me if I have this and that I always say yes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.