code question

I don't think any answer except from your local code enforcement officer will matter.

My reading of the Florida code says ALL doors and windows that have an opening 42 or less inches above the floor have to be alarmed, or the pool has to have a barrier. The least restrictive condition for a barrier is a maximum sized opening of 4", and it just gets worse from there.

I think you would have to be able to show that no crawling baby could make it through the doggie door, and hope the inspector favors loose law interpretations.

I vote for either sealing it off or putting an alarm on it.

I understand that if you alarm it you'll have to put up with the alarm sounding every time the pet goes in or out but that's better than not alarming in an event that it should have.

Now if you really want to get fancy. There's a guy that designed a vision system for his cats pet door. That way it won't let anything but his cat in or out.

Bama Rambler said:
I understand that if you alarm it you'll have to put up with the alarm sounding every time the pet goes in or out but that's better than not alarming in an event that it should have.

Now if you really want to get fancy. There's a guy that designed a vision system for his cats pet door. That way it won't let anything but his cat in or out.
His cat, and anything the cat decides to bring in with it.... (eeeahuw!)

In 2007, I had to alarm two sliding glass doors and an oversized bedroom window (anything with potential access to the pool area) but I bought the cheapest alarms I could find and installed them with the smallest wood screws I could buy... just pulled them out by hand the week after the pool passed inspection.

polyvue said:
I bought the cheapest alarms I could find and installed them with the smallest wood screws I could buy... just pulled them out by hand the week after the pool passed inspection.

Thats what i did. Those alarms are silly, IMO. We even were required to alarm the screen on the glass slider. I took off the screen and stck it in the back of my truck when the building inspector came. No screen, no need to alarm it. :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.