Intex SWG with Copper Ionization??

I just took the plunge and bought a intex SWG to try out this year, when looking through the DVD and manual it now comes with a "copper ion generator". From what the dvd says it seems to be similar to the pool frog mineral thing. It comes with copper test strips and says to test the copper level. The "Copper ion generator" seems to be a chunk of copper suspened in the water with a electrode attached.

So my question for yall is... Is this the same as using a mineral device to add coper, or are copper ions diffrent? If its the same as the mineral devices ill just unplug the copper section, i dont want any extra metals added to my water!

One thing that was interesting was that the DVD said to check levels weekly and run longer when the copper level drops below 0.2 (recommends 0.1-0.2 im assuming PPM) but says nothing about when the copper levels gets too high... Could it be that copper ions disapate over time so wont get too high?

Dale, it's pretty well the same as any other copper/mineral system. At least they tell you to test. Copper doesn't dissipate except when water is splashed or pumped out of the pool.

From personal experience you will experience side effects if the copper levels climb above .3...including green hair.

You don't want the copper. THe SWG part is fine, if you can find away to use it without the ion part.

I can't believe Intex is doing that, as if their products aren't bad enough (ind. swg units excluded). Ridiculous :rant:

I have that set up separately. DON"T let your copper level climb, it is like CYA the only way to get rid of it is to drain the pool. stains the plastic and walls too if it is too high.Mine is just there for backup now, like when I go on an extended vacation and don't run the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.