Hard time finding Borax

baudilus

Jun 23, 2009
Toms River, NJ
So I've been calling around trying to find Borax, and no one sells it! I actually went to a few stores, and Walmart was the only store that had it, so I grabbed up all they had on display, 6 boxes yesterday and 4 boxes at a different Walmart today that I happened by.

Only 32 more boxes to go! (need 35 to bring the borates up to 50PPM and at least 7 to have on hand.)

Anyway, on the 20 Mule website, they list a bunch of stores that I called, who said they don't have it - I'm tempted to go and look anyway because I think they just don't know what it is, but has anyone had this problem?

I've called CVS, Walgreens, and Kmart, and physically been to Walmart, Pathmark, and Target. I have a few more of the stores listed around here that I'll try (Shop Rite, Stop & Shop, Wegmans), but has anyone had this problem? Have you found borax at a store that isn't listed? I'm tempted to try the dollar stores listed but the ones I called also said they didn't have it.

If not, it's a good thing I started early because it will take a while to actually get all that I need.

Is the Walmart price of $2.98 a good deal? I've noted in the past that they tend to price items on their shelves at 1 penny below a competitor, I suppose so they can truly claim that they have the lowest prices, so this gives me hope of finding another store around here that has it for $2.99.

Sure beats drugstore.com's price of $8.99!

For what it's worth, when all is said and done I can bring the borates up from 0 to 50 PPM using Borax and Muriatic Acid for about $150-160. The equivalent 90 pounds of Pro Team Supreme Plus that I would need would cost at least $240.

Not a bad deal.

Remember that borates are totally optional, if you don't have pH control issues then there's not much benefit. Borates reputedly have some algae-fighting properties but with an SWG it's really not necessary. Up to you, of course, and some people report a nicer "feel" to the water, but I wouldn't panic about being unable to pull 32 boxes off the shelf of the local grocer.
--paulr

I have only found Borax at a couple of stores around me. Typically, the larger grocery stores and big box stores (WalMart, Target, etc) are most likely to have it, though there is no predicting which one actually will. After trying a number of places over a few years I found an especially large Giant (grocery store) that consistently has many boxes in stock. For a while I was going to a Target nearby. But they run out quickly and don't restock very often. Once the local Whole Foods had a huge Borax display, but when that ran out they went back to infrequent restocking.

The other approach is to order some boric acid on-line. The price ends up being a little higher, but it is easier to use and isn't all that much more money.

I've had the same problem. I will need 25 or 26 boxes of 20 mule team borax to get 50 PPM in my pool and not many stores around here carry more than 3 or 4 on the shelves. I just bought 5 boxes from Wal-Mart today for $2.98 each and now have a total of 8 on hand. I bought two boxes from Target ( for, I think $4.00 each) about a month ago and they still have not re-stocked.

PaulR said:
Remember that borates are totally optional, if you don't have pH control issues then there's not much benefit. Borates reputedly have some algae-fighting properties but with an SWG it's really not necessary. Up to you, of course, and some people report a nicer "feel" to the water, but I wouldn't panic about being unable to pull 32 boxes off the shelf of the local grocer.
--paulr
I wonder how much is exaggerated with borates anyway. I don't doubt the theory behind the idea, but honestly I experienced no noticeable difference in ph rise after adding borates. And if you stay on top of your FC like you should, you will probably never notice the purported algae-static properties either.

Beez said:
PaulR said:
--paulr
I wonder how much is exaggerated with borates anyway. I don't doubt the theory behind the idea, but honestly I experienced no noticeable difference in ph rise after adding borates. And if you stay on top of your FC like you should, you will probably never notice the purported algae-static properties either.
In my spa, 50ppm borates has made all the difference in the world for pH control.
I haven't put borates in the pool as it doesn't have a major pH issue, so I have no personal experience one way or the other in that environment.
--paulr

Beez said:
And if you stay on top of your FC like you should, you will probably never notice the purported algae-static properties either.
Thats kinda what I think too. Maybe if you have a high CYA level (i.e.80 ppm) and have a SWG, they might be added protection. If you ever get algea with a CYA at 80, it takes a boat load of liquid to shock the pool. But then again I do use 4-5 oz of poly60 every week too
(as i back away slowly for fear of commiting BBB heresy) :mrgreen:

I bought 4 boxes some time last week at Walmart, and went back today as I was in the area, they had 4 more; I asked an employee how many they had in stock, and he scanned the bar code and his scanner read 5 in stock and 6 on the way. It seems like they restock pretty often.

On another note - I found it at some other stores with the new packaging - and new smell to boot. The package says the product is the same, but it smells like clean linens - I smelled the old green boxes and wasn't able to detect it, but I was trying not to inhale a large amount.

As far as the effect of borates - I am a believer. The first year we open the pool, the pool company came to do it and teach me how to operate the equipment. They also gave me 45 pounds of Pro Team Supreme. At the time, I didn't know what it was or what it did, but I have never been able to get the water back to that silky smooth feel of that first year, and I believe the borates are what did it.

I can't wait for the season to start so I can start BBB!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.