DE in pool water

May 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I'm sure this topic has been covered in the past, but I can't seem to find it (the search words are too common :? )

After backwashing a bunch of extra water from our pool, I went to put in some more DE. I've never had any problems with DE getting back into the pool water, but today the water got cloudy right after adding the DE to the filter.

My question is: could this problem be caused by cold weather? And can it be fixed easily by talking the top of the filter off, and replacing it? Or is it more likely that one of the filter panels has a hole in it? I really don't want to mess with the filter right now, since it's still freezing. Is it okay to just leave it as is, and try to fix it once it gets warmer? What damage can DE in your pool water do?

Thanks!!

DE is inert.

Having a hole in a filter element allows the dirt to pass through. There is a significant reduction in the filtering capability and efficiency.

If in a few days, the temps warm up, raise your chlorine level, shut the system, hose off and soak the elements. Find the holed one and any that have stretched the fabric to meet in the middle between the ribs. Get replacements as needed.

Scott

This may be a one time deal.

I'd suspect the multiport as the first cause (as you had your sight glass freeze and break). If it's a multiport issue, it should only come into play when you recoat the grids. If it's a small hole in the grids, it will probably seal itself and not let more DE into the pool, until the next backwash.

Either way, see if it stops and just be prepared to address the problem when the weather is warmer :cool:

I had this problem with my new pool as well. It turned out to be that the cartilages exploded inside the filter tank....only because the new filter was plumbed backwards! Yikes....but if your filter is not new than maybe you have a tear in your cartridges. DE should not end up in your pool! My pool builder actually re plumbed my pipes so that when I need to get rid of some pool water I do not need to backwash. Which is a cost saving feature...if you only need to get rid of some excess water and your DE isn't dirty..why waste the DE??

mamasproject said:
I had this problem with my new pool as well. It turned out to be that the cartilages exploded inside the filter tank....only because the new filter was plumbed backwards! Yikes....but if your filter is not new than maybe you have a tear in your cartridges. DE should not end up in your pool! My pool builder actually re plumbed my pipes so that when I need to get rid of some pool water I do not need to backwash. Which is a cost saving feature...if you only need to get rid of some excess water and your DE isn't dirty..why waste the DE??

Yikes :shock: I surly hope PB paid for the cartridges. They are very expensive. I guess whoever plumbed the filter didn't read the Pentair instructions. :roll: For anyone who doesn't know why the filter exploded.... Pentair Quad is plumbed opposite from "normal" DE filters and like a typical sand filter, so you need to use a slide or multi-valve used for "typical" side plumbed sand filters. I'm so glad I studied Pentair's instructions very well.

mamasproject said:
My pool builder actually re plumbed my pipes so that when I need to get rid of some pool water I do not need to backwash.

Which setting do you use on your multivalve? Is it "waste"?

gg=alice

PoolGuyNJ said:
DE is inert.

Having a hole in a filter element allows the dirt to pass through. There is a significant reduction in the filtering capability and efficiency.

If in a few days, the temps warm up, raise your chlorine level, shut the system, hose off and soak the elements. Find the holed one and any that have stretched the fabric to meet in the middle between the ribs. Get replacements as needed.

Scott

Didn't I read here, on TFP, that someone actually repairs small tears/holes in grid fabric? The process would be great info for anyone who wants to do that.

gg=alice

Which setting do you use on your multi valve? Is it "waste"i?

gg=alice

I actually wanted to get a mulitvalve but the pool builder said that the multivalue reduces water flow to the filter.I was inclined to believe him since I was going to pay for it anyways. It wasn't included with the pool package so I stayed with the push/pull lever. This pool builder has been building pools for 45 years so I think he might know what he's talking about. The pool builder put a new valve/outlet for the water near the heater. So when I need to get rid of extra water I don't need to backwash...just open the new outlet and let her drain!

And yes, since the pool builder plumbed the Quad backwards he did pay to replace the filters. Apparently they had never used the Quad before. They are big on cartridge filters so had never had to plumb the Quad. Lesson learned but they were great about it.

mamasproject said:
but the pool builder said that the multivalue reduces water flow to the filter.
While technically true for most multi-position valves, the difference is not significant. Many other things make a much larger difference. The connivence and flexibility of a multi-position valve more than makes up for the tiny loss of efficiency. Not that there is anything wrong with a push/pull valve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.