Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE in pool water

1. Back To Top    #1

DE in pool water

I'm sure this topic has been covered in the past, but I can't seem to find it (the search words are too common )

After backwashing a bunch of extra water from our pool, I went to put in some more DE. I've never had any problems with DE getting back into the pool water, but today the water got cloudy right after adding the DE to the filter.

My question is: could this problem be caused by cold weather? And can it be fixed easily by talking the top of the filter off, and replacing it? Or is it more likely that one of the filter panels has a hole in it? I really don't want to mess with the filter right now, since it's still freezing. Is it okay to just leave it as is, and try to fix it once it gets warmer? What damage can DE in your pool water do?

Thanks!!
    14,200 gallon in ground Plaster Pool
    "Titan Vertical Grid Filter" -- Pressure DE, 60 sq ft filter area

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE in pool water

DE is inert.

Having a hole in a filter element allows the dirt to pass through. There is a significant reduction in the filtering capability and efficiency.

If in a few days, the temps warm up, raise your chlorine level, shut the system, hose off and soak the elements. Find the holed one and any that have stretched the fabric to meet in the middle between the ribs. Get replacements as needed.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

This may be a one time deal.

I'd suspect the multiport as the first cause (as you had your sight glass freeze and break). If it's a multiport issue, it should only come into play when you recoat the grids. If it's a small hole in the grids, it will probably seal itself and not let more DE into the pool, until the next backwash.

Either way, see if it stops and just be prepared to address the problem when the weather is warmer
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

Just vac the de powder out to waste.. or you can try vacing it into the filter like you would regular dirt.

Or just leave it and deal with it when its warmer... wont hurt anything!
    [center:3gj9kdnn]Matt Heck
    "HECK OF A POOL SERVICE LLC"
    Serving Ocean co. NJ
    COMPANY INFO BELOW
    http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en ... 2995187987[/center:3gj9kdnn]

5. Back To Top    #5

I had this problem with my new pool as well. It turned out to be that the cartilages exploded inside the filter tank....only because the new filter was plumbed backwards! Yikes....but if your filter is not new than maybe you have a tear in your cartridges. DE should not end up in your pool! My pool builder actually re plumbed my pipes so that when I need to get rid of some pool water I do not need to backwash. Which is a cost saving feature...if you only need to get rid of some excess water and your DE isn't dirty..why waste the DE??
    28,000 IG Free Form Gunite with quartz finish
    Pentair Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS+SVRS
    Polaris 280, Sta-Rite 400K Heater-Propane

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mamasproject
    I had this problem with my new pool as well. It turned out to be that the cartilages exploded inside the filter tank....only because the new filter was plumbed backwards! Yikes....but if your filter is not new than maybe you have a tear in your cartridges. DE should not end up in your pool! My pool builder actually re plumbed my pipes so that when I need to get rid of some pool water I do not need to backwash. Which is a cost saving feature...if you only need to get rid of some excess water and your DE isn't dirty..why waste the DE??
    Yikes I surly hope PB paid for the cartridges. They are very expensive. I guess whoever plumbed the filter didn't read the Pentair instructions. For anyone who doesn't know why the filter exploded.... Pentair Quad is plumbed opposite from "normal" DE filters and like a typical sand filter, so you need to use a slide or multi-valve used for "typical" side plumbed sand filters. I'm so glad I studied Pentair's instructions very well.

My pool builder actually re plumbed my pipes so that when I need to get rid of some pool water I do not need to backwash.
    Which setting do you use on your multivalve? Is it "waste"?

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    DE is inert.

Having a hole in a filter element allows the dirt to pass through. There is a significant reduction in the filtering capability and efficiency.

If in a few days, the temps warm up, raise your chlorine level, shut the system, hose off and soak the elements. Find the holed one and any that have stretched the fabric to meet in the middle between the ribs. Get replacements as needed.

Scott
    Didn't I read here, on TFP, that someone actually repairs small tears/holes in grid fabric? The process would be great info for anyone who wants to do that.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

8. Back To Top    #8

Which setting do you use on your multi valve? Is it "waste"i?

gg=alice

I actually wanted to get a mulitvalve but the pool builder said that the multivalue reduces water flow to the filter.I was inclined to believe him since I was going to pay for it anyways. It wasn't included with the pool package so I stayed with the push/pull lever. This pool builder has been building pools for 45 years so I think he might know what he's talking about. The pool builder put a new valve/outlet for the water near the heater. So when I need to get rid of extra water I don't need to backwash...just open the new outlet and let her drain!

And yes, since the pool builder plumbed the Quad backwards he did pay to replace the filters. Apparently they had never used the Quad before. They are big on cartridge filters so had never had to plumb the Quad. Lesson learned but they were great about it.
    28,000 IG Free Form Gunite with quartz finish
    Pentair Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS+SVRS
    Polaris 280, Sta-Rite 400K Heater-Propane

9. Back To Top    #9

but the pool builder said that the multivalue reduces water flow to the filter.
    While technically true for most multi-position valves, the difference is not significant. Many other things make a much larger difference. The connivence and flexibility of a multi-position valve more than makes up for the tiny loss of efficiency. Not that there is anything wrong with a push/pull valve.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School