How to get Calcium Chloride cheaper in warm weather areas

Aug 17, 2009
Ace Hardware will ship the stuff free of charge for pickup at your local store. A 50 lb bag usually ships for 20-40 dollars on most sites making it too expensive.

Based on my tap chemistry I think I wont need to mess with CH much but I picked up a bag to have on hand.

dykes26 said:
Ace Hardware will ship the stuff free of charge for pickup at your local store. A 50 lb bag usually ships for 20-40 dollars on most sites making it too expensive.
Thanks much for the shopping tip -- no doubt there are others who are scratching their heads wondering how to procure calcium cheaply without paying the exhorbitant shipping charged by most internet sites (not that you can blame the purveyors, I'm sure Ace is eating the cost to encourage the purchase of other goods.)

The first year, my pool's demand for Calcium Chloride was neverending -- so I bought progressively larger sizes at Leslie's to economize. But at the end of year one, the demand ceased, so I now have a 25 lb bucket of Hardness Up, nearly full and resting comfortably, thank you very much, in the garage. (I should have thought to give it to you! It would have been a nice excuse for an extended weekend, to camp at Lava Beds and see Mono county again....)

I live in pa so it's available as a de-over in colder weather but calcium chloride is used in concrete to speed things up. So maybe contacting a place that deals with concrete or construction might have a supply. Just an idea

Tried to get Ace to ship to my local store in Sac and after a few hours got the following response...

Ace Hardware said:
We regret to inform you that we are unable to complete your order.
We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.

Your satisfaction is very important to us. If you have any questions about your order, call Customer Service at 1-866-290-5334. We will be more than happy to assist you.

We appreciate your business and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused if this action was taken in error.

Best regards,

Ace Hardware Customer Service

Try calling the number provided by Ace and see what they will do for you. It might be cheaper to just to to a local Ace hardware store (call first) or Leslies' and pick it up.

My research is about a year old on calcium product, but last time I checked...

Poolcenter.com
Calcium Chloride 94%
Hardness Increaser 25 lb. tub Item 162974 NY598
$32.97

Leslies' Pool Supplies
Calcium Chloride 94%
Hardness Plus 25 lb. tub
$41.99

Ok - Ace sent me an email the day of the order saying it was confirmed. 2 days later I got an email saying this:

"We regret to inform you that we are unable to complete your order.
We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.

Your satisfaction is very important to us. If you have any questions about your order, call Customer Service at 1-866-290-5334. We will be more than happy to assist you.

We appreciate your business and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused if this action was taken in error.

Best regards,"

I just called in and re-ordered it. The lady said my prior order was marked as canceled by customer but I told her I didn't cancel it. She also verified no one called in by phone. She just said it was probably accidentally canceled when the system "updated". Maybe they just don't ship this stuff to hot weather areas but at least I'm trying again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: How to get Calcium Chloride cheaper in warm weather area

Whelp, I just got the "order canceled" email from Ace. I immediately called and asked them why it was canceled as no reason was given. The nice lady on the phone said that it showed up as out of stock for some reason, but she did show it in stock and in warehouse and could place a new order for me over the phone. She also stated that she would ship it to my home and waive the shipping cost. New order is placed, and it's showing up on the Ace site, so we'll see what happens!

Jose

Is it possible that some of these orders are being cancelled due to environmental restrictions for the county it is being shipped to? If the item is labeled for "de-icing" it may not be legally shipped to areas the prohibit it as a de-icer.

As an example, I wanted to get windshield washer fluid that would not freeze up on my windshield when it was too cold. I found, after visiting ~63 stores, that the "low-temp" version of the washer fluid i bought last year was now illegal in Sacramento County (hi VOCs) but legal for sale (and use) in Placer County, less than one mile from my house. So, I bought the stuff in Placer county and limit my use to when I am driving in Placer County... :)

PoolGuyNJ said:
Google Dowflake. Cheaper but has some dirt sometimes.

Scott

The problem is finding the stuff locally. It seems that buying CC online in any kind of large quality makes shipping cost-prohibitive. My second Ace order placed over the phone hasn't been canceled yet! *crosses fingers*

Jose

Have you considered using cal-hypo as your chlorine source? I found that when I combined the costs of chlorine and calcium it was slightly cheaper to get the huge buckets of cal-hypo.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.