Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get Calcium Chloride cheaper in warm weather areas

1. Back To Top    #1

How to get Calcium Chloride cheaper in warm weather areas

Ace Hardware will ship the stuff free of charge for pickup at your local store. A 50 lb bag usually ships for 20-40 dollars on most sites making it too expensive.

Based on my tap chemistry I think I wont need to mess with CH much but I picked up a bag to have on hand.
    18,900 Stonescapes Tahoe Blue xtra black, 8 jet Spa, Pentair inteliflo VS , Pentair FNS 60 DE, Inteliclor40, Pentair 400,000 Mastertemp heater, 3 spillovers powered by a Pentair 1 HP whisperflo pump, The pool Cleaner, 2 Intellibright color changing lights and 400 sq ft. of Heliocol roof mounted solar.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to get Calcium Chloride cheaper in warm weather areas

Quote Originally Posted by dykes26
    Ace Hardware will ship the stuff free of charge for pickup at your local store. A 50 lb bag usually ships for 20-40 dollars on most sites making it too expensive.
    Thanks much for the shopping tip -- no doubt there are others who are scratching their heads wondering how to procure calcium cheaply without paying the exhorbitant shipping charged by most internet sites (not that you can blame the purveyors, I'm sure Ace is eating the cost to encourage the purchase of other goods.)

The first year, my pool's demand for Calcium Chloride was neverending -- so I bought progressively larger sizes at Leslie's to economize. But at the end of year one, the demand ceased, so I now have a 25 lb bucket of Hardness Up, nearly full and resting comfortably, thank you very much, in the garage. (I should have thought to give it to you! It would have been a nice excuse for an extended weekend, to camp at Lava Beds and see Mono county again....)
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

3. Back To Top    #3

Poly, if you keep it cool and dry, it'll last a LONG time. Dilution will happen at some point that you will need it. But you knew that.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I live in pa so it's available as a de-over in colder weather but calcium chloride is used in concrete to speed things up. So maybe contacting a place that deals with concrete or construction might have a supply. Just an idea
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

5. Back To Top    #5

Tried to get Ace to ship to my local store in Sac and after a few hours got the following response...

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Hardware
    We regret to inform you that we are unable to complete your order.
    We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.

Your satisfaction is very important to us. If you have any questions about your order, call Customer Service at 1-866-290-5334. We will be more than happy to assist you.

We appreciate your business and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused if this action was taken in error.

Best regards,

Ace Hardware Customer Service
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

Try calling the number provided by Ace and see what they will do for you. It might be cheaper to just to to a local Ace hardware store (call first) or Leslies' and pick it up.

My research is about a year old on calcium product, but last time I checked...

Poolcenter.com
    Calcium Chloride 94%
    Hardness Increaser 25 lb. tub Item 162974 NY598
    $32.97

Leslies' Pool Supplies
    Calcium Chloride 94%
    Hardness Plus 25 lb. tub
    $41.99
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

7. Back To Top    #7

I broke down and went to Leslie's

$45 for 25 lbs vs $30 for 50 lbs at Ace (that's triple the price per pound)

Makes me glad I found TFP so I get "pool stored" as little as possible.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

8. Back To Top    #8

I had to break down and buy the CH increaser at HD for $12 for 5lb! Hopefully, I won't have to do that again for a while
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

9. Back To Top    #9

Great tip - I just scored a 50 lb bag at Ace for $37 after tax with free ship to store.
    20k, Plaster IG, Tagelus Fiberglass Sand Filter TA-100D Flow Rate 100, Pentair 2HP Pump, Polaris 280 Pool Cleaner, Taylor K-2005 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok - Ace sent me an email the day of the order saying it was confirmed. 2 days later I got an email saying this:

"We regret to inform you that we are unable to complete your order.
    We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.

Your satisfaction is very important to us. If you have any questions about your order, call Customer Service at 1-866-290-5334. We will be more than happy to assist you.

We appreciate your business and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused if this action was taken in error.

Best regards,"

I just called in and re-ordered it. The lady said my prior order was marked as canceled by customer but I told her I didn't cancel it. She also verified no one called in by phone. She just said it was probably accidentally canceled when the system "updated". Maybe they just don't ship this stuff to hot weather areas but at least I'm trying again.
    20k, Plaster IG, Tagelus Fiberglass Sand Filter TA-100D Flow Rate 100, Pentair 2HP Pump, Polaris 280 Pool Cleaner, Taylor K-2005 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Ok. It was canceled again, they just must not ship to Texas. Going to try again here this time paying for shipping, total $48 for 50 lb bag

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/produc ... KU=7208895

12. Back To Top    #12

Re: How to get Calcium Chloride cheaper in warm weather area

Are you just referring to the calcium chloride de-icer available through the ace website?

13. Back To Top    #13

I just placed an order at Ace online for a 50lb bag of Qik Joe Hot Stuff flakes for $22.99 with free ship-to-store. Let's see if it gets canceled... Crossing my fingers!

Jose
    17x34' 13400gal freeform gunite IG pool, DB Tahoe Blue, cartridge filter, Rainbow 320, ClearO3 ozonator, 1.5HP 2sp Whisperflow, Intellibrite 5G Color LED, pavers, screened enclosure, Liquidator, 6x Fafco SunSavers, SolarTouch

14. Back To Top    #14

Whelp, I just got the "order canceled" email from Ace. I immediately called and asked them why it was canceled as no reason was given. The nice lady on the phone said that it showed up as out of stock for some reason, but she did show it in stock and in warehouse and could place a new order for me over the phone. She also stated that she would ship it to my home and waive the shipping cost. New order is placed, and it's showing up on the Ace site, so we'll see what happens!

Jose
    17x34' 13400gal freeform gunite IG pool, DB Tahoe Blue, cartridge filter, Rainbow 320, ClearO3 ozonator, 1.5HP 2sp Whisperflow, Intellibrite 5G Color LED, pavers, screened enclosure, Liquidator, 6x Fafco SunSavers, SolarTouch

15. Back To Top    #15

Is it possible that some of these orders are being cancelled due to environmental restrictions for the county it is being shipped to? If the item is labeled for "de-icing" it may not be legally shipped to areas the prohibit it as a de-icer.

As an example, I wanted to get windshield washer fluid that would not freeze up on my windshield when it was too cold. I found, after visiting ~63 stores, that the "low-temp" version of the washer fluid i bought last year was now illegal in Sacramento County (hi VOCs) but legal for sale (and use) in Placer County, less than one mile from my house. So, I bought the stuff in Placer county and limit my use to when I am driving in Placer County...
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

16. Back To Top    #16

Google Dowflake. Cheaper but has some dirt sometimes.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    Google Dowflake. Cheaper but has some dirt sometimes.

Scott
    The problem is finding the stuff locally. It seems that buying CC online in any kind of large quality makes shipping cost-prohibitive. My second Ace order placed over the phone hasn't been canceled yet! *crosses fingers*

Jose

18. Back To Top    #18

Go to Lowes. You can get 50# of calcium Chloride for $19.00. Home depot also carries it in season, but not always in summer

19. Back To Top    #19

Have you considered using cal-hypo as your chlorine source? I found that when I combined the costs of chlorine and calcium it was slightly cheaper to get the huge buckets of cal-hypo.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

20. Back To Top    #20

Farm stores like Tractor Supply usually have it. It's used as weight in tractor tires.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast