Aeration comparison

TimS

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Central Missouri
Last fall when I was first learning BBB, I was trying to lower my TA. This had me raising my pH through aeration. This was a somewhat time consuming process, and I'd like to speed it up if I could. The biggest issue was a concern that if I started aerating in the morning, the pH would get too high while I was off at work and wasn't around to watch it.

I currently have an Aqualuminator Fountain (image attached.)
[attachment=0:3f1c5hgp]AquaLuminator Fountain.jpg[/attachment:3f1c5hgp]

This provides some aeration, but I'm thinking that I can probably speed it up using something like what Rangeball showed in this post:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-aerator-t7799.html?hilit=aeration

It seems to me that this would significantly speed up the process, but I'd like some opinions before I do it.

The downside is that I can't just build and test it. Since I have an Aqualuminator, I can't just pull an eyeball and stick something like this in the return. I'll have to hard plumb it this spring before I open. (For those unfamiliar with the Aqualuminator, the light sits inside the return line. The back side of the return line is open to allow the wires to come in. It is an O-ring on the light assembly itself that seals this opening. If you remove the light, you have an open hole in the side of the pool.)

My idea, if I go ahead with it, is to add a "T" to the return line and add valves that let me direct the return through the Aqualuminator or the dedicated aerator. Would something like this be worth the effort? (Note that all my plumbing is exposed under the deck and is easy to get to. It won't be hard, but...)

On the other hand, the kids love the fountain, so now that they've discovered it, they want it on all the time. It may well turn out that I'm constantly lowering my pH, and don't need this thing anyway :-D

Tim

Attachments

• AquaLuminator Fountain.jpg
    AquaLuminator Fountain.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 173
TimS said:
Last fall when I was first learning BBB, I was trying to lower my TA. This had me raising my pH through aeration. This was a somewhat time consuming process, and I'd like to speed it up if I could. The biggest issue was a concern that if I started aerating in the morning, the pH would get too high while I was off at work and wasn't around to watch it.

Having a high PH for few hours shouldn't hurt anything. Scaling isn't an instaneous process and usually occurs over long periods of time. So just lower it back down when you get home. Trust me, I've had my PH too high along with CH for many days without any impact. It just becomes a problem when it is chronic.

Also, what is the rush to raise PH? Eventually, it should rise on it's own. If it doesn't then your done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.