Question on pop up cleaners

Feb 8, 2010
I have just purchased a new house and am new to pools. The pool that was with the house has a pop up cleaning system installed by Paddock Pools. At first the pump would pop the breaker so I installed a new 2 HP pump. Old pump was a 1.5HP. Then the pop ups would kinda work and I found that the gear assy (paramount 6 port) was the problem. The gears were stripped out and I replaced that. I let it run for 8 hours last night with the filter pump running the same time. Two thirds of the pool was super clean this morning except for one portion in the deep end. There is a big port in the bottom/center of the pool which I believe is the intake port to the filter. There are two pop ups about 3 feet away on the right and left. These pop ups are shooting water toward the port and do not rotate. I noticed that when the system is running, they do not drop and rotate. If I turn off the pump then they drop but when the pump is on they still stay up the whole time and did not change flow direction. Is this how these two pop ups are suppose to work or should they be rotating as well. I thought they may be fixed directional jets to push toward the bottom return?

Thanks. I was actually looking at the brochure last night. If that is the case, then my main drain must not be working properly. Anyone have any idea on how to clean or troubeshoot if it is operating correctly or is there a way to back flush through the drain?

Well, I am a little disappointed with this pop up cleaning system. It seems to clean the shallow end pretty good but all the dirt collects by the collection port and it seems to not suck any of it in. I found the other collection net and clean it regularly. It looks like I have to sweep the deep end every other day.

It does sound as if the drain is not working properly. Is there a valve on the suction side of the pump controlling the relative amounts of flow between the drain and skimmer? I would think the drain needs to have a good percentage of the flow for an in-floor cleaning system like the PCC 2000.

Some of the Paramount systems also had a separate debris containment system (separate from the skimmer net) - if it's there can you tell if water is flowing through the system? That would confirm if the drain is working or not.

And my apology if this advice consisted of things you have already looked at.

What main drain do you have? We had a paramount SPX that we had to upgrade to the MDX. SPX & MDX are the covers to the main drain system.

Our pool has the pcc-2000 system. There is a debris canister between the main drain and the filter. You can download manuals for the system at the paramount site. That might help you determine how your system is set up.

Our pcc-2000 system water comes through the skimmer, pump, then to the pcc. I have a filter sock in the skimmer basket as the water does not go through the filter.

Main drain, debris, pump, filter, to wall returns.

I can e-mail the manual(s) if you have problems locating them.

I have called Paramount with questions and ordered parts. They are a very customer oriented company and will help in any way possible.

lee32903 said:
It does sound as if the drain is not working properly. Is there a valve on the suction side of the pump controlling the relative amounts of flow between the drain and skimmer? I would think the drain needs to have a good percentage of the flow for an in-floor cleaning system like the PCC 2000.

Some of the Paramount systems also had a separate debris containment system (separate from the skimmer net) - if it's there can you tell if water is flowing through the system? That would confirm if the drain is working or not.

That is a very good point. I do have a diverter valve that regulates how much each one pumps. I will offset that a little bit and see if that makes a difference. I did find the net cannister that the drain filters through. I do clean that daily as well. I did open it up while running and yes, water is flowing through.

anthrobe said:
lee32903 said:

That is a very good point. I do have a diverter valve that regulates how much each one pumps. I will offset that a little bit and see if that makes a difference. I did find the net cannister that the drain filters through. I do clean that daily as well. I did open it up while running and yes, water is flowing through.

I beleive I have the MDX draining system

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The two fixed nozzles that point toward the drain should push all of the debris into the drain. They are supposed to gently push the debris to the drain, but not past it. One test is to push a few leaves in front of the fixed jets and see how the leaves move toward the main drain. If they don't make it all the way to the drain, you may need nozzles with a larger orifice. I have a PCC-2000 system and I don't have much dirt collected a the drain.

Woodberg said:
The two fixed nozzles that point toward the drain should push all of the debris into the drain. They are supposed to gently push the debris to the drain, but not past it. One test is to push a few leaves in front of the fixed jets and see how the leaves move toward the main drain. If they don't make it all the way to the drain, you may need nozzles with a larger orifice. I have a PCC-2000 system and I don't have much dirt collected a the drain.

thanks!! I have a lot of trees around the pool and there is always a few leaves at the bottom of the pool. The system actually does a great job removing the leaves. It just seems to not get all the dirt out of the deep end. You can actually see the spay area with the two fixed heads and it is clean between them and the drain for the most part. The problem lies around the other sides of the drain. I will have more time this week to mess with it. I need to verify the other heads in the vicinity of the deep in are rotating.

Check the water return "eyballs" as well. There should be some "slotted" returns that aim the water down the side of the pool towards the drain. They help push dirt towards the fixed cleaner nozzles.

I need to run the cleaner pump and the main drain pump at the same time to get the best cleaning results. Just running the cleaner pushes dirt around the pool. Running the main drain alone allows dirt to settle away from the main drain. This is how my system works. Yours may be different.

Also, check some of the popups nearest your "dead spots" If you have just one head clogged, you will get a accumulation that won't get pushed near the fixed heads to migrate to the M/D. You should be able to get a tool for removing the heads online.

Note: some heads are left hand, (turn clockwise) 1/4 turn to remove and will most likely be difficult to remove due to sand/grit that has gotten in there. Leave the cleaner pump running when doing this. When the water valve cycles to the head you are working on, the debris will get flushed out of the socket.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.